Room for Rent and other rental scams
#281260 by seatorshore Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:42 pm
My mother received a slightly different e-mail from a guy named David Ryan. His e-mail was [email protected]. She was concerned with the how the conversation was going so I went online and found out that he was a scammer. I was curious as to how easy it was for him, so I made a fake e-mail and simply e-mailed him asking if he was still interested in renting out the room (fake room). I received this.

Thanks for your email,i am interested in renting the place for the period that you have specified that it will be available for,i will be staying alone and i dont keep pets, i am willing to offer you 2 months rent plus the security deposit in order to secure this unit prior to my arrival.Could you be kind enough to let me know what the electricity/utility cost would be monthly?Since it is in a nice location,i am going to rent it as i like it .I am an easy going person and would be outdoors most of the time during my stay in the apartment due to the research work i will be doing while i am in the states.Please send me a picture view of the apartment.

Due to the current situation and with my being not able to view the apartment at this time,i am presently in Guam here in the United States and will be arriving by the first week in February to your place.I am a
chemist by profession and am presently working at U.S. Naval Hospital Guam Bldg 1 Farenholt Ave Agana Heights, GU 96910 here in the United States and my reason for renting your place is because the hospital is sending me to do a private research work with the United States Environmental Protection Agency(USEPA),i will be working with them for about 5 months starting from February on contract,i will be glad to show you my contract papers and all other documents relating to my research with them during that period on my arrival in your place,i am even of the opinion that such issues can best be handled physically.

As regards payment for the rent and deposit,one of our financiers will be effecting your payment to you as soon as you give us the go ahead to do so.I believe we can work together and ensure every arrangements that we shall both execute in line with my taking up the tenancy should be done accordingly to ensure we have a proper understanding.As regards the lease agreement,if there is any,i want you to send it to me for my review,i will eventually have it filled and signed on my arrival in your place and i will abide by it.Due to the remote location of the hospital here in Guam,it is always hard to receive or make calls due to disruption in the reception,but it is easier and faster to get a hold of me via this email as i check it regularly.
Sincere regards and will be waiting to hear back from you soon.
David Ryan.
U.S. Naval Hospital
Guam Bldg 1 Farenholt Ave
Agana Heights, GU 96910.
Advertisement

#281275 by Mike Wilson Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:48 pm
Hello seatorshore,
These scams usually involve a fake or stolen check being sent to the victim. The victim is told to deposit the check and send the overpayment to a third party who is most likely the scammer playing another role.

More information on these fake checks viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3237

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#293252 by witchmystic Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:43 pm
Heads up: they are now using [email protected]

Also, it appears to be either a robot or someone unfamiliar with proper formatting for a text or letter. I got mine in a text today; it was readable but clearly not what you'd expect from a professional or a student.