Room for Rent and other rental scams
#36822 by Michelle Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:29 pm
To: Michelle
Sent: Sat, September 4, 2010 4:24:40 PM
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: FULLY FUNISHED BEDROOM FLAT AVAILABLE FOR LONG AND SHORT TERM IN NEWCASTLE

Hello,
Am glad to know you are interested in my flat. My flat is still available for rent and you can move in as soon as possible as you like,here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit.

Rent : £100.00 pwk(£400 per month)All bills inclusive...
Security Deposit: £ 600.00 (Refundable at the end of a week stay in my flat)
Utility bills inclusive ( water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet)
Utility Cost : £ 0.00 pcm
All bills included: fully furnished, bath/wc phone.
Broadband internet connection in each room
Air conditioning
Fireplace/select units
modern English furniture
Car Park
Fully-equipped kitchen
Vaulted ceilings
Washer/dryer in unit

Get back to me if you are satisfied and your present location.

To: Michelle
Sent: Mon, September 6, 2010 3:18:45 PM
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: FULLY FUNISHED BEDROOM FLAT AVAILABLE FOR LONG AND SHORT TERM IN NEWCASTLE

Thanks for your interest my flat.Viewing is possible if you can meet up with my solicitors requirements.
My solicitor and i had some past bitter experience of booking a viewing and reserving accommodation for tenants without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled has made me loss time and money for traveling as I currently work and Live in ireland.

I will not collect any deposit from you not until i take you round my flat and you are satisfied with it, i just need to confirm your financial ability before i can come and i will also need to seek two days off from work because some tenants do not meet up with the appointments which has led to the dismissal of some landlords in office by their employees, I hope you understand this.

Therefore my Solicitor has acknowledge a protocol by which you can confirm your financial ability to me before i can make arrangemnet for my coming,In this case, a bank-statement wont be accepted as we have had wayward tenants tendering fake documents, also you don't need to pay any upfront or reservation yet, all we require is, You transfering at least 4 weeks rent payment(£400) and the security deposit(£600) to your friend,partner or family member living within the UK premises.

You re to make the transfer via westernunion to any relative or friend of yours been the reciever and you get back to me with scan copy of the receipt which will be given to you by westernunion agent in which am to forward to my solicitor to confirm it if truely the funds is in your receiver custody for pickup,After the verification been done,i will call you to have your receiver pick it up.Note,i will refund the transfer charges when we meet on viewing day after the the verifcation been done i will make my plan to come over to the uk and we meet up for the viewing.This procedure is strictly meant for assurance you re really capable to rent my flat.

Kindly reply or feel free to call me if you have questions to ask. +447031877628
Pls no call after 9pm...

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement