Room for Rent and other rental scams
#310310 by theygotme1026 Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:48 am
Craigslist Boston same thing. Luckily I've sent no money, but I did sent the application with personal information. The name used was Pamela Grange address is 330 Beacon Apt 92.

Here's the original post. I can share the emails with the fabricated story if anyone wants. They were similar to what's been described.

$550 UNIQUE WELL FURNISHED MASTER-BEDROOM AVAILABLE @ AFFORDABLE PRICE (Back Bay Boston)

Unique well furnished master-bedroom plus kitchen available in an home apartment. This Master Bedroom is really stunning, high ceilings, good natural light, nice day window, separate kitchen, Amazing location on beacon street. For more information and pictures reach me via text only on 617 862 0770.

I was skeptical, but they said the right things to get me this far along in the game.
Advertisement

#312123 by deedsdux Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:18 am
He or She has now posted in Boston, MA!

Hello,

How are you doing today? i am so sorry for the delay to respond i have not been too fine of late. Thank you very much for taking your time to write me, it is my sincere pleasure to write you back, and to let you know that the Master Bedroom you are making inquiry of is still available for rent and Utilities Included: Heat,Gas,Electricity, Water,Dryer, Washer and internet/Cable. Available from now,monthly rent is $550 application fee $50 also so note that the security deposit will be needed

Let me quickly introduce myself to you.. My name is Keondra Pace and my husband's name is Philip Pace. My husband is the owner of the property. Some months ago we both had a very serious car accident, that affected my Spinal Cord and brain, that lead to my disability, now i am using wheel chair and and l find it very difficult to talk, but i can still communicate through any means of writing, i lost my husband a few days later after the accident now i am staying with my Mom here in Peoria, Illinois.

Actually me and my husband both resided in our home apartment before the accident but i decided to put the spare Master Bedroom for rent as i need a responsible person that can rent it and take care of my home apartment even while i am away, helping my Mom in her treatment she is also suffering from a heart disease.

So still feel free to check on the address 330 Beacon Street Apt 92 Boston, MA 02116 but note that you can not be allowed in because the keys of the apartment is not available, you can only drive by or pass by to see the exterior of the building.

Attached herein are the pictures of the interiors.If you are still interested and ready you can get back to me so we can get along with the next step thanks.

Regards

Keondra Pace
617 862 0770
[email protected]
#312124 by deedsdux Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:22 am
I'm still e-mailing this person (they have no idea I know this is a scam) should I contact the police while they still think I'm hooked?
#312374 by informant Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:13 pm
Hello,

Date Nov 16, 2016. Location: NY. I was also on craiglist in search for a rental room. After submitting an interest email over, the "renter" sent me a very similar email as you received. It is very suspicious. See below for the email. I would have also included the craiglist's listing it was removed.

Thanks for your interest in renting a room in my 2 bed apartment. The room is still available. I'm easy going and friendly. I respect every religion and love to hang around with good people and I am definitely not a trouble maker and very helpful in nature. I am presently in Peoria, Illinois to occupy my Late Grandfather's house, I left due to my health conditions, I am a deaf, i cant speak and hear you, but i can read sign, The room is available for a short and long term because i will be occupying my Grandfather's house

Rental fees : $500 Per month including utilities
Damage deposit : $500 Refundable

I have also attached some of the pictures of the interior so that you can have an idea how beautiful and spacious the inside looks and we can proceed to the next step.

Best Regards
Keondra Pace
(646) 791-6338
#312376 by informant Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:21 pm
Hello,
Date: Nov 16, 2016
I just want to share my experience with the group. I too received a similar email from the supposed renter. See email below:

Thanks for your interest in renting a room in my 2 bed apartment. The room is still available. I'm easy going and friendly. I respect every religion and love to hang around with good people and I am definitely not a trouble maker and very helpful in nature. I am presently in Peoria, Illinois to occupy my Late Grandfather's house, I left due to my health conditions, I am a deaf, i cant speak and hear you, but i can read sign, The room is available for a short and long term because i will be occupying my Grandfather's house

Rental fees : $500 Per month including utilities
Damage deposit : $500 Refundable

I have also attached some of the pictures of the interior so that you can have an idea how beautiful and spacious the inside looks and we can proceed to the next step.

Best Regards
Keondra Pace
(646) 791-6338

I hope this helps to catch this fraud.

Regards,
Informant