Room for Rent and other rental scams
#36995 by Michelle Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 06:55:34 -0700
Subject: Get back to me asap
To: Michelle

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks for the great Interest you are having In my flat I am very delighted,the flat is available for both long term and short term rent so it depend on how long you are willing to stay in my flat,well I can help you in securing my flat until your arrival date as there are a lot of people who are also interested in renting the flat,but an arrangement can be made to restrict others people from viewing the flat if only you can make a month rent and security deposit and I will Issue you a receipt and also I will need your full name,full address and your phone no,so I can forward It to my lawyer to prepared you a tenancy agreement contract form to sign and send it back to me.so get back to me asap If you are still Interested as I am not sure If the flat will still available until your arrival date.but i will like to ask you some few questions:

1. How many of you are coming to live in my flat?
2. Can you take care of my flat as it is?
3. Can you bring your identity passport when coming for viewing?
4. How many months do you intend to rent and pay for?
5. Do you have references in London?
6. What Is your contact phone number ?
7. I hope you are not among the time waister's?

looking forward to hearing from you asap.

Many Regards
Mr Walcott Alexander

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#37000 by Michelle Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:29 pm
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010
Subject: Viewing Arrangement....................
To: Michelle

Hello Michelle,

How are you? PLEASE KINDLY TAKE TIME TO READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS PROCEDURE BEFORE GETTING BACK TO ME.the flat is 400 pounds per month and All the bills are included in the rent, Am so delighted to read back from you this shows that you are such a serious person and i will like to have someone like you as my tenant though my lawyer have a lot of candidate who are willing to secure my flat but am a kind of person who deal with first come first serve because you are the first person who contact me via E-mail. My flat is not a flat share so you are all entitled to the flat and will not be sharing it with anybody, and you may be wondering why is my flat so cheap due to it's standard? Am a kind of person who is truly blessed by God and does not want any inconvenience for other people moreover i have a lot of properties for rent here in united kingdom that is the reason why my flat are so cheap. All i need is someone who can take good care of my flat and someone who is financially capable of acquiring my flat. I need to know some few questions about you and i will be glad if you can answer it all.

1. How many of you are coming to live in my flat?
2. Do you have the rent and deposit with you presently?
3. Can you take care of my flat as it is?
4. Can you bring your identity passport when coming for viewing?
5. Do you have references in London?
6.. What is your Contact phone number?
7. I hope you are not among the time wasters?

The rent has been confirmed per month and refundable deposit as you know. It is unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view my flat without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. Please i want you to understand that i have had a lot of disappointment in having inviting people in the past and it is sad to confirm on the spot of viewing that 60% of viewers still depend on money that are not visible. Henceforth my lawyer and i have decided to carry out a simple test on financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing. I would not ask you to send your bank statement as it may be used illegally sometimes, while some produce fake bank statements and pay slip,Since you are interested in my flat, Therefore i will appreciate it if you can proof to me that you are financially capable of securing my flat. By transferring at least a month rent and security deposit of 600 which the total is 1,000 pounds to your reference name or your any partner of yours as the receiver through western union transfer agent. That can be verified on the website of the money transfer, such as money gram post office or western union which i will prefer the western union so that the cost of transfer will not be too much, though the transfer cost will be refunded back to you on the spot of viewing. And am taking my time to study this method of confirmation as the transfer can also be confirmed via telephone or internet to check if the transfer is there for your references to pick up or not. It is a very simple test that you need to do in order for my lawyer and i to be sure of your financial status. before we can both make an arrangement on where and when to come and show you flat. Also be cautious of who you drop or show your bank statement to,because it is very risky in doing so and that is why my lawyer has opted out this simple method that does not require any of your details in any form. The process of making the transfer is stated below so you can be sure that it does not require any of your bank details, So you are required to.

1. Locate the nearest western union office around you.

2.Pick up the form of transfer and fill in the details which needs to be filled and return back to the post master. Details needed on the form are {sender name;your name and address.} {receiver name and address} the receiver will be your reference or partner's address

3.Return back to the post master with the cash you are transferring to your reference or any partner in united kingdom or reference and wait for the receipt to be returned back to you.

4.Scan the receipt to me and give me a call so i can check it if its truly genuine and available in reference custody..

5.After it has been confirmed on the website,then we can proceed for the viewing and you can as well tell your references or to pick up the money.

Note: I have not told you to send money to me, but which you can transfer the money between you and your reference or any of your partner just for my lawyer to make confirmation if you are presently capable of paying for my rent.. After making the transfer through western union. I will refund back to you cost of transfer when you come for viewing. And make sure you come along with the transfer receipt to know amount paid for the transfer so i can refund it back immediately. I have attached the copy of landlord membership certificate so you can be well assured that am the owner of the flat. Kindly send me your phone number in your next reply.or call me on my mobile number 07035904610

Regards
Mr & Mrs Walcott Alexander