Room for Rent and other rental scams
#289110 by Michelle Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:05 pm

Subject: RE: Message from someone interested in your advert

Thanks for the interest you have in my flat. My flat is still available for rent and you can stay in my flat as long as you pay your rent at when due. Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit.

Rent per calender month is £360 { includes all bills : water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet}Security deposit of £500 {Refundable after four weeks in the flat}.

However, At this stage that you want to rent my flat, i need to know some few question about you.Can you keep my flat clean and tidy? Do you have references in Bristol and do you have a landline number?. Kindly reply for further information and i will like to know where you are coming from to stay in my flat.Have a wonderful day.

Regards
Alice Joan

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#289196 by Michelle Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:29 am

Thanks for the reply, Regarding to your question, its possible for you to come for the viewing. However, i can make a perfect reservation for you as i am giving you 100% guarantee as the flat is still available.Yet some prospective tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing, so i wouldn't like such to happen again.

More so, i have 2 other interested candidates that just provided their details for the tenancy agreement and also willing to make an advance deposit to secure the flat but i declined because they have a big family with children, 3 cats and dogs.

Nevertheless, i will appreciate if you would be able to get the security deposit transferred now via online banking or locate the bank. Upon verification of payment, we proceed immediately with the viewing. We can proceed with the viewing today at 2pm or at your convenient time

Please let me know if you are willing to proceed with the payment so that i can provide to you the bank account details. You will pay the rent after the viewing and note that making a deposit doesn't mean you must rent my flat after the viewing, if you decide not to proceed with the rent, then i will refund the deposit immediately without any deduction.

Hope to read from you soon.

Regards

#289201 by Michelle Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:42 am
Alice Joan <[email protected]>

Hello,

Thanks for your reply,You are require to make an advance payment of 500 pounds into my Secretary's bank account and my secretary will bring the deposit together with the stamped tenancy agreement during the viewing and handling over of the keys and also You are require to come along with a passport photograph or any form of I.D during the viewing and handling over of the keys to the flat.

Here are my secretaries bank account details:

Bank Name: Barclays
Account Name: J J HURN.
sort code: 20_23_98
Account No: 43033481

Once the transfer has been finalized, you will email me the bank transfer confirmation receipt so that i can notify my secretary for verification and we can proceed withe viewing.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards

#291602 by Michelle Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:37 am

Subject: RE: Buyer's Question re:

Hello,

Further to you last e-mail -- Here are my secretary's bank account details:

Bank Name: Barclays Bank.
Account Name:Christine Horan.
Sort code. 202397.
Account Number. 73880125

Once the transfer has been finalized, you will email me the bank transfer confirmation receipt so that i can notify my secretary for verification and we can proceed withe viewing at your own convenience.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards