Room for Rent and other rental scams
#37425 by Con Warner Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:23 am
-----Original Message-----
To: Con Warner
Sent: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:03:29 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Re: backpage response: Splendid 2Bdr. Apt Close To All...

Hello,

Thanks for your mail. After going through your email, my wife and i have finally concluded to rent the House to you. The rent is $750 and deposit payment fee is $450. Since we shall be giving you our house, please again take care of the house, i and i will keep my word to be a good landlord to you. The apartment is unfurnished.

Therefore after going through your mail and accessing your profile, we strongly believe that you are a respectable and responsible person, I am sure you would be able to take great care of the property. It would be appreciated if you can make the deposit payment ASAP so that i can file you as my new tenant and also send you the House Keys and House Documents. Also, Pets are allowed.

Please once again, we are giving you this on trust and do not disappoint us and we promise you that you will love the house and the peaceful serene environment.

I am with the documents below here with me and I will like to know if you are ready to make the deposit payment.
Here are the contents of the documents I would be sending to you:

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys
2) Paper/Permanent house form (Containing your reference details)
3) Agreement Form which you would sign and send back to me.
4) The House Documentary file.
5) Payment Receipt.
6) Full address and description of the house

I am very glad that you are taking the apartment. I would arrange with UPS to ship the House Keys and Documents over to you. My wife and i has come to an agreement as to a way that we would be secure for both you and myself. Like i explained to you in my first email, i am currently in Africa and the keys would be shipped to you from here.
Now, in Western Union, there's a Security Test Question and a Security Test Answer, which without it we cannot collect the payment here. You can send the security deposit with your own different Test Question and Test Answer but you would not give us the Test Question and Test Answer until you receive the house keys and house documents. All you need to send to me is the MTCN Number so i can confirm from Western Union that the said amount was sent. And after you receive the House Keys and Documents, you would give the Security Test Question and Answer so that i can receive the payment.

The details to send the payment are found below:

RECEIVER'S NAME: GEORGE ANTHONY
ADDRESS: GAMLI HOSPITAL
CITY: ABUJA

After you have sent out the payment, send me the MTCN number so that i can confirm that the payment has been sent and after you receive the House Keys and Documents and you are satisfied with the apartment, you can release the Security Test Question and Answer to me so that i can pick up the funds here but if you do not like the apartment, then you can go to the Western Union location where you sent the funds from and request for a refund of your money and send the keys back to me through UPS as i have a shipper's account with UPS.

Hope to hear from you asap.

George Anthony.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union with a promise that he will send the keys through a courier company.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union payment to a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement