Room for Rent and other rental scams
#290596 by Michelle Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:41 am
Ludovic Ruggiero <[email protected]>:
Hello,

First, Thank you for your e-mail.
Second, sorry for my late reply.
I am the owner of the apartment...My name is Ludovic Ruggiero old graphic designer from London /United Kingdom, planning to retire in the next 2 years.
The apartment is fully furnished, could be rented unfurnished too-same price if unfurnished.
The entire apartment is for 450 euro per month including all utilities/bills (water, electricity, internet, cable).
Has washer/dryer in unit, A/C, dishwasher, safe neighborhood, nice neighbors, very quiet, no noise, close to transportation and everything else, floor 2.
My intention is to rent the apartment to nice, clean people and in order to do that I would like to know a little something about you, like how many people do you intend to live in my apartment, do you have a steady income ,etc. The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished and renovated.

Below is the apartment address:
Korte Gasthuisstraat 36
2000 Antwerpen

Let me know if you are still interested and i will send you more info and pictures of the apartment.

Please tell me in short what exactly are you looking for and which are your requirements?

Here you can find more pictures: http://www.use.com/G2UfA

Thanks,
Ludovic Ruggiero

Subject: RE: Immoweb - Reactie op zoekertje Te huur
To: Michelle Banks

Hello,

As I mentioned in my previous email, I chose Airbnb to take care of renting the apartment. I have used this company in the past and I was very happy with them. You can inspect the flat in the presence of the Airbnb agent, everything will be carried out in a safe manner and you need not to worry. I have added the flat to their site (I'am user member since 2010) as well and you can rent it directly from them in an easy way.
Please access the ad here: http://www.airbnb.com-Korte-Gasthuisstr ... -Antwerpen

This is how Airbnb work :

1) After you access my apartment from the link above , select the date when you want to move into the apartment and click on Request to Book . You can rent the apartment from 1 month to 3 years with the possibility to extend it.

2) Sign into Airbnb or Sign up if you don't have an Airbnb account (user will be active instantly).

3) Airbnb will ask you to complete your Billing Information (your name , address and email address ) where to send the bill/invoice .

4) After you completed all the details and continue , Airbnb will present you all the details about the transaction and how you can make the payment.

5) After your order is registered , you must make the payment to the details indicated by Airbnb and send the payment confirmation via email or fax to them.

6) Airbnb will verify the payment and Book the apartment for you and you will be the only who can rent the apt .

7) Airbnb agent will contact you in 3-5 days for meeting.

8) If you refuse to rent the apartment , Airbnb will give you a full refund .

The first month of rent plus security deposit that you have to pay in advance is 100 % refundable if you not agree with the apartment. The payment is a simple formality and by paying you are not obliged to rent the apartment ,you are just respecting the policy of Airbnb company. It kind of makes sense since they handle abroad rentals and they send the agents all over Europe.

I have trust in this company and I hope you will enjoy this company's services and leave a positive feedback.

PS: Now i must know for sure if you agree because here are another person interested to have this apartment rented and i want to know for sure what i must tell him.

Best Regards,

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement