Room for Rent and other rental scams
#291180 by NoOlwenn Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:57 am
In my search of flat in Dublin, I send 5 emails on Craiglist, two "people" answer me. With almost the same story (they aren't in the country, you can't visit the flat, but if you send money to them, their solicitor will send you keys and documents)
After few emails that what she answer me (notice that the ""flat"" is on 22 Fleet Street Dublin 2, Ireland, but there is no flat at this adress) :
" Hello,

Thanks for the interest you have toward renting my apartment.

Am currently out of the country for work and that the reason am renting out the apartment.But now that you are interested in renting my apartment and if you will like me to reserve it for you then you will have to send me the following details.

1) full name and address 2) move in date and move out date 3) Any means of your identity (Passport copy or ID card).

I will be needing this details to prepare the lease contract as we need to legalize the rent by signing a contract after that you will proceed with the payment of the first month rent and deposit to confirm the reservation and an assurance towards renting the apartment after this, you will have a receipt in return for the payment made which you will attach with the lease contract as a legal tenant and you can easily move in when you arrive.

About the payment: The payment has to be paid to the account of my solicitor,who is responsible for the all the legal and payment about the apartment. if you should make the payment to me now, i will have to transfer the money to him later so its better you make the payment directly into his account and when he confirmed the payment he will issue the rental payment receipt and i can send it to you.

I look forward to read from you soon.

Best Regard,Matilda "

About the other email I received, there is already a topic about it : viewtopic.php?f=39&t=116338 (notice that for this one, there is a real(real landlord and real pictures) rent at 71 Blessinghton Street, Dublin 1 on Daft.ie but pictures are totally differents, etc)

Becarefull about Craiglist (there are so many people who falls in the trap)

<removed to protect privacy> MW

Ps : When an offer seems too awesome to be real, that's probably true, take time to search address of the flat, name of the landlord, email, phone number. And never send money.
Advertisement