Room for Rent and other rental scams
#291632 by cazulu Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:58 pm
Scam found at immobilienscout24.com for Berlin, landlord requesting a "fund verification transfer" before even visiting the flat:

Verification process started on 12-04-2016 | #DE-U9XJ12F
Current status: Potential Tenant not Verified
TENANT VERIFICATION REQUEST BY AIRBNB AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR ***********
3 STEPS ON HOW TO GET VERIFIED AS A POTENTIAL TENANT
1. The Potential Tenant will deposit 2 month of rent + 1 month security deposit to Airbnb using Bank-to-Bank Wire Transfer. The deposit will remain with Airbnb until the Potential Tenant will meet the Host, inspect the apartment and takes a decision. The deposit will remain locked with Airbnb and only the Potential Tenant -*******- will be able to unlock the funds.
2. After we receive and secure the deposit from the Potential Tenant, Airbnb will guarantee the tenant -*******- to any Host or Property Manager listed with Airbnb.

The Host involved in this agreement -Thomas Poulsen- will receive a letter of guarantee from Airbnb informing him that Airbnb is in possession of a deposit (2 month of rent + 1 month security deposit) that represents the rent amount established by him regarding the property located at Habersaathstraße 6 - Berlin - 10115 - Germany.
The Host will be advised to meet and take all measures to complete the rental agreement.
3. The Potential Tenant will meet with the Host and inspect the property personally.
After the Potential Tenant inspects the property he must decide regarding the completion of the rental agreement. The Potential Tenant has two options:

Sign the rental agreement and immediately Airbnb will transfer the deposit to the Host's bank account.
Does not sign the rental agreement and immediately Airbnb will return the deposit (the complete amount 1,500.00 € without retaining any fees) to the Potential Tenant's bank account (return time is no longer than 24 hours after receiving tenant's refund request).

ATTENTION: In both cases Airbnb will not unlock or move the deposit without the tenant's exact instructions. Only the Potential Tenant -*******- can access the funds.

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO SEND THE DEPOSIT

The deposit must be sent using Bank-to-Bank Wire Transfer from your local bank or using Internet Banking.
Your deposit will be sent to one of our available bank accounts.The funds will be secured until you inform us regarding your final decision regarding the rental transaction status.
Total deposit amount: 1,500.00 € (2 month of rent + 1 month security deposit)
Bank Transfer Reference Code: DE-U9XJ12F
Beneficiary Name: D. SUBA/AIR-SERVICE
IBAN: GB41NWBK60180114519178
Bank Name: NATWEST BANK
SWIFT Number: NWBKGB2L
Bank Branch Location: 10 SOUTH STREET, ROMFORD, ESSEX, RM11RD
Noted (BW)

You have 2 business days to complete the transfer for your verification.

When the deposit is received, it will be verified and secured into a non-interest bearing account.

Deposit verification process usually takes less than 24 hours.

How to complete the verification deposit?

Send the deposit using Airbnb banking details located above;
In order for our system to easily identify your payment, please use the correct Beneficiary Name "D. SUBA/AIR-SERVICE" and following Reference Code " DE-U9XJ12F" when performing the transfer.
Confirm the deposit by sending an e-mail to the Host with the following information:
Bank Transfer Receipt Copy;
Booking Reference Code;
Exact Amount Transferred.

To refuse and cancel the verification process, please send an e-mail with the subject "Cancellation #DE-U9XJ12F" to [email protected].

Once our bank will confirm the transfer we will inform the Host that you are a verified tenant and the rental agreement can be completed.

The payment details are confidential and will not be released under any circumstances. Airbnb security measures are constantly reviewed and modified given evolving circumstances globally. Our constant priority is for the safety of our customers. Airbnb always tries to fulfill its customers needs.

Thank you
Last edited by cazulu on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement

#291633 by cazulu Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:00 pm
"Landlord verification" message:

1 BEDROOM APARTMENT
Verification process started on 12-04-2016 | #DE-U9XJ12F
Current status: Host Verified
HOST VERIFICATION CONFIRMATION BY AIRBNB

Bedrooms: 1
Bathrooms: 1
Floor Area: 50 m2
Total Monthly Rent: 500.00 €
Security Deposit: 1 Month

HOST

Thomas Poulsen
([email protected])
Stenlosegyden 91, Kobenhavn, 1023, Danmark

POTENTIAL TENANT

HABERSAATHSTRAßE 6 - BERLIN - 10115 - GERMANY Property Location Verified
Ownership documents, Owner identification documents Ownership Verified
Utility bills verified Last month's (03-2016) bills Verified
All bills have been paid.

AIRBNB VERIFICATION PROCESS - 3 BASIC STEPS FOR SECURE RENTING

The Host will send to Airbnb the documents proving that he is in fact the owner of the property and last month’s bills; our team will verify the documents and bills.
After the Host is verified successfully the Potential Tenant will receive an e-mail with his verification instructions.
If the Potential Tenant verification is completed successfully Airbnb will guarantee the Tenant to the Host and to all Hosts or Property managers that use Airbnb.

How was the ownership verified?

The documents provided by the Host have been sent to our law firm and they have confirmed that Thomas Poulsen is the actual owner with the local authorities.
The bills provided by the Host have been verified with the utilities providers like Electricity or Gas.

Any Verified Host is insured by Airbnb!

All of our verified Hosts are fully insured with a minimum of three months of rent requested.

Thank you
#291635 by cazulu Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:05 pm
Justification of the too good to be true price:

Hallo,

Ich bin der Eigentümer der in der Habersaathstraße 6 - Berlin - 10115 gelegenen Wohnung.

Schlafzimmer: 1
Badezimmer: 1
Fotos: http://postimg.org/gallery/13knmai9g/
Wohnfläche: 50 m²

Diese Wohnung kann für monatlich 500 EUR, inklusive aller Nebenkosten (Gas/ Elektrizität/ Geschirrspülmaschine/ Telefon/ Kabel/ Internet/ Parkmöglichkeit), für unbegrenzte Dauer gemietet werden. Die Wohnung ist in gutem Zustand, sauber und gebrauchsfertig. Die Küche ist komplett eingerichtet.
In der Wohnung befinden sich eine Geschirrspülmaschine, ein Kühlschrank, eine Tiefkühltruhe, eine Waschmaschine, ein Trockner, ein Bügeleisen, ein Backofen, ein Toaster, Kaffeemaschine, Internetzugang und Wi-Fi Zugang.

Wir haben die Wohnung 2008 gekauft und dort bis letzten Monat gewohnt. Dann endete mein Arbeitsvertrag und wir kehrten nach Hause zurück, Kopenhagen, Dänemark.

Die Wohnung befindet sich in der Nähe zu allen öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln, zu einem Einkaufszentrum, einem Sportstudio und anderen lokalen Einrichtungen. Haustiere sind erlaubt, ich bitte Sie jedoch, dafür zu sorgen, dass alles sauber gehalten wird. Die Wohnung hat einen Parkplatz. Ich habe einen erheblichen Betrag in diese Wohnung investiert und wäre Ihnen sehr dankbar, wenn Sie sie wir Ihr Eigentum behandeln würden. Es geht mir nicht darum, durch Mieteinnahmen Geld zu verdienen, ich bin an einem langfristigen Mieter interessiert, der sich um die Immobilie kümmert.

Wegen meiner unerwarteten Rückkehr nach Dänemark fehlte mir die Zeit, einen zuverlässigen Mieter zu finden. Die Schlüssel sind hier bei mir. Sobald ich einen ernsthaften Mieter finde, komme ich nach Deutschland zurück, um ihm die Wohnung zu zeigen und den Mietvertrag zu unterschreiben.

Teilen Sie mir bitte mit, ob Sie wirklich interessiert sind.

P.S. I also speak English.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Thomas
#291636 by cazulu Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:07 pm
Same thing in English:
Dear ******,

Thank you for your response.

We will not be using the apartment for the next 10 years for sure, maybe never, we own apartments in Wien, in Amsterdam and in other places in Europe. You have available a large storage space in the building so you are able to move the furniture as you wish.
Like I said in my first email, my current location is Copenhague. I am willing to travel as soon as possible back to Germany and complete the renting contract. I have returned before for a tenant who did not have the funds available. So please understand my situation.
Airbnb.com is offering a simple verification process for owners and new tenants. They will verify me as the owner of the apartment and you as a potential tenant.
Here is a short description of the process:
- i, as the owner, will have to submit our lease transaction details and copies of the ownership documents and personal id to Airbnb for verification;
- after Airbnb accepts the transaction and completes the document verification they will contact you as the potential tenant directly and verify if you have the funds available to rent the apartment;
- when the verification process is completed i will travel back to Germany, show you the apartment and complete the renting agreement;
If you agree with the verification process, please provide the following information:
- complete future tenant name;
- current address;
- direct phone number;
- e-mail;
When I have the information, Airbnb will contact you directly with the verification details.
If you don’t agree with the verification process then there is no need to go forward as we do not have other possible way to insure that both of us are completely eligible to enter into a lease agreement.
I need the certainty that you are definitely interested before traveling back to Germany.
Hope you understand.

I have sent you a picture of my passport and more details about me.

Sincerely,
Thomas Poulsen
Stenløsegyden 91
København 1023
Danmark

E-mail: [email protected]