Room for Rent and other rental scams
#292583 by Bryon Williams Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:12 am
Subject: Property: 1 St David Street, Fitzroy VIC 3065 (Host: Jessica Ashton)
To:

Hi there,

My name is Jessica Ashton, I'm 45 years old and I am working as a project manager for ADCO Construction. I am glad that you are interested to rent my apartment. I lived in this apartment until March 2016, when my company started a new project in Ireland and I had to move here for the next 5 years, so the apartment is available for long-term. The flat is very nice and clean, recently refurbished by me to a very high standard of interior design. The flat is fully furnished with all the necessary equipment and appliances.​ The rent will be $250 per week with all utilities included (hot/cold water, electricity, internet, cable TV). A security deposit (bond) of $1000 is required at the start of the lease and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required). The money, I want to receive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money. That's all i can say for now until you have a taste of my place.

In the meantime, can you please confirm the following:

· How many people would be living at the property?
· When would you like to move in?
· What term/length lease would you like?
· Do you have any pets?
· When are your most suitable times/days to view the property?

If further interested, please give me some information about yourself (age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant).
Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#295428 by Bryon Williams Wed May 18, 2016 12:44 pm
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Karen Simmen
Subject: Property: 7 Riverside Quay, Southbank 3006, VIC (Host: Karen Simmen)

Hello,

I am glad that you are interested to rent my apartment.

My name is Karen Simmen, I'm 50 years old and I am working as a project manager for ADCO Construction. I lived in this apartment until March 2016, when my company started a new project in Ireland and I had to move here for the next 5 years, so the apartment is available for long-term. The apartment is fully furnished with all the necessary equipment and appliances.? As you saw in the pictures it is in excellent condition, very clean and well kept. The rent will be $250 per week including utilities (hot/cold water, electricity, internet, cable TV). Also, a security deposit (bond) of $1000 is required at the start of the lease and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required). You have full access to all building amenities. Pets are allowed. That's all i can say for now until you have a taste of my place.

In the meantime, can you please confirm the following:

· How many people would be living at the property?

· When would you like to move in?

· What term/length lease would you like?

· Do you have any pets?

· When are your most suitable times/days to view the property?

If further interested, please give me some information about yourself (age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant).

Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/