Room for Rent and other rental scams
#293553 by Michelle Mon May 02, 2016 11:14 am

Greetings to you
Thanks for your interest. I hope you're having a great day so far! I will give you as much information as I can and at the same time I'll be as brief as I can especially since I can imagine how important your time is it.
I have attached photos of my flat below for you to read, so that you can have a better idea of the Unit (Apartment). You will have your own private bedroom and bathroom/toilet separately. It's fully furnished, 24 hrs Security and porter service available and entry phone.

ROOM INFORMATION:
The bedroom contains new double bed with orthopedic mattress, Fitted sheet, Flat sheet, Pillows with pillowcases and Duvet cover. There is wardrobes, chest of drawers and bedside table. The room has its own en-suite bathroom, all bills are includes maintenance, wireless and full Sky TV leaving you more time to enjoy and relax... The room is perfect for a young student or professional and couples, the room is large enough to live in comfortable and it is the best value for yourself.

Symbol: Double Room.
Price: £500 GBP monthly.
Caution fees £480.00 pounds: The payment of security deposit implies that you have a serious intention towards renting my flat and that would enable me to reserve and keep the flat room for you for booking. The security deposit is fully refundable back to you and would not deduct any charges from your £480.00 pounds deposit.

Utility bills included: YES.
Approx. size: 13sq. meters.
Minimum stay: One (1) month.
Reading Desk & Wardrobe.
The room come with Superfast wireless Internet.

HOUSE INFORMATION:
The apartment have a massive kitchen, all utilities come complete with cutlery, Microwaves, Dishwashers, Dryers, Washers, Kettle, Toaster and everything else you need in a kitchen. So you can bake and cook to your heart's delight.

Address: Welbeck Street, London, W1G 8DR.
Area: Central London (Lambeth, Soho, Belgravia, Southwark, West End, The City, Westminster).

Tube distance:
Bus stop (0.1 miles)
Bond Street (0.2 miles)
Oxford Circus (0.3 miles)
Regent's Park (0.3 miles)
Leicester Square & China Town (0.4 miles)
Covent Garden (0.3 miles)

The apartment is close to various amenities restaurants, local shops, super market, cafes, bars & pubs, cinema and library. And the walking distance is very little which is less than 4 minutes from public transport.

I hope you like the facilities listed above in the flat. Could you please tell me more about yourself? Where are you from and where exactly are you right now? How many time have you been in UK? How old are you? What do you do for a living? What is your hobbies? What do you like to do in your free time? Are you married? So If you are really seriously interested in my flat and you wish to know more about me please get back to me now. Don't miss this good opportunity! The room will go fast.

I look forward to hearing back from you ASAP.
Your's Futureflatmate,
Bettina.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#293568 by Michelle Mon May 02, 2016 2:53 pm

Subject: Re: Flat Details and Photos‏‏

Hi Michelle
I'm glad to read your mail concerning your interest in my flat and the introduction about yourself. Well, I have no problem renting you the bedroom as much as I'm able to confirm your genuine and seriousness.

I am British/ Italian 35 years old, female and registered Nurse. I owned the property and I have been using the bedroom to rent for a student and professional with someone that is okay with my kind of person and most especially a trustworthy person, a clean and tidy person that I could confide in as a family and I believed you would be the kind of person.
I am a happy cheerful person and I consider life very precious. I have good sense of humor and like smiling all the time. I like all forms of music and music. I enjoy cinema and theaters in good company with my friends. I like watching football, comedy true stories and detectives. I consider myself a sincere, passionate, honest, warm, and caring. I'm not perfect, but I'm sure I have a very good heart. I don't like lies or disappointment.

I have just been transferred to Coventry, I presently work in University Hospital, Coventry. However, it is unfortunate that my past experience of inviting someone to come and view my flat without any form of confirmation of their seriousness and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss of time to me.

Well, before we can proceed for the reservation and booking. I would very much like to know more about you and discuss the processing of the reservation first. I don't know if you do have Skype? I do have a Skype on my desktop computer. Please get back to me with your Skype username. I will add you once you get back to me. That would be easier to get to know each other better and indeed faster. In case if you don't have Skype account… I will like you to create Skype account now, once you have signup with Skype Account. You can try to downloading a Skype messenger. Once you have downloaded the Skype messenger you can logon your Skype username and password. So that we can be able to chat more better.

Please, I don't have time for games, or give me false hopes… I just want to find a lovely flatmate that is down to earth, who is honest, trust worthy… I do not care too much about age, race, gender, religious or ethnicity, as long as there is a trust. I would rather you hurt my feeling with truth than to spare my time with games, one thing I do appreciate is honesty between two people. I am always open and honest, I do not like lies, I will never tell you anything that is not true.

So please be quick to avoid delay and let me know if you are truly ready to rent the room with me and possibly to meet soon... I really want to be sure that you really want the room for real. I think it would be a good idea to communicate first over the Skype for a better discussion.

Your's future-flatmate,
Bettina.