Room for Rent and other rental scams
#37881 by Ruby Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:42 pm
Date: Friday, 24 September, 2010 at 7:30 p.m
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: 1 bedroom modern flat in Newcastle
To: Ruby

Thanks for your response.However owing to my past unpleasant experience of inviting intending tenant to view my flat without confirming if they are actually able to pay their rent at the right time has caused me a great discomfort and as such do not want to experience it anymore, because i have to travel all the way from Scotland to take interested candidate round my flat. I do hope you understand my point of view.

In view of the previous occurrences, I do not want to collect any money from you as i have not taken you round my flat and signed your contract with my solicitor,but i have been strongly advised to confirm that you can pay your rent as at when due, so before we can proceed for the viewing, I will like to confirm if you can afford my rent. All you need to do now is to make transfer of a 2 weeks rent and security deposit of £500 to your friend or partner within the UK through Western Union Money Transfer The reason for using western union money transfer is that it is faster and my solicitor can easily confirm the transfer almost immediately he receives the scanned copy of the transfer receipt or the details of the transfer

Once you are done with the transfer, get back to me with the scanned copy of the transfer receipt as i forward it to my solicitor to confirm if the transfer is valid or not and available for pick-up by your friend or partner.Once my solicitor confirms the transaction valid, i will then ask you to tell your friend to pick up the money for you, then we can immediately proceed for the viewing. I shall refund the cost of transfer to you when we meet for the viewing. After the viewing, if you like my flat, you can proceed to signing the contract and then pay your rent and security deposit to me directly.
Kindly proceed with the transfer and get back to me as soon as possible.

Do not hesitate to ask anymore question.

Regards

Mr/Mrs Webster
Advertisement

#37914 by David Jansen Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:26 am
Thanks for posting this Ruby. Is it possible to include the full headers of the scam emails that you post here? If you don't know how to get the headers, just ask.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.