Room for Rent and other rental scams
#296257 by Michelle Thu May 26, 2016 11:56 am

Subject: RE: $1045 / 1br - Brand new designer finishes and a fantastic location (Astoria)

Hello

Thank you for your interest in the property listed for rent. You were the second to e-mail from the ad. The first prospective renter no longer had to move because of his work situation. So we give the opportunity to you. We are currently ready to rent with flexible terms and just completed all new renovations. We will work together with you on move in date, lease security deposit and length.

I understand you need the exact address of the property but my husband does not want me divulge due to safety reasons. We have had a string of break ins, squatters and thefts at our other properties. We would like to prevent that with this property because of the renovations that have cost lots of money. You are going to be the first to move in with the renovations. That is why we want to confirm you have your latest report before we arrange a tour.

All utilities are priced into the lease along with garage parking spaces. The appliances in the kitchen as well as laundry room were just installed. You have the option to pick your paint color and flooring before your arrival

When you want to come look at the place, then please visit the link below and grab your report. All of our tenants use this site because it is widely trusted. All you need to do is fill out the form and you get your report We aren't interested in specifics of your report, it's more of a formality to ensure you have rental history. You can get your report by CLICKING HERE

Keep in mind that you only have to bring your report to the tour. Once you let me know that you have your report ready, then I can personally schedule a showing of the place.

Thanks again,
Hayley

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement