Room for Rent and other rental scams
#302066 by Michelle Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:47 am
Subject: RE: 3 rooms appartment

Hello,
I want to inform you that Airbnb will hold the money until you will confirm to them that you like the apartment and keep the keys. If you don't like it, you only have to return the keys to them after they will refund the money to you and they will deliver the keys back to me on my expense.
I will need to inform you the steps about how this service works and how we can make it happen. You will only have to deposit to Airbnb Service - one month of rent 1000 euro plus the deposit 500 euro so the total will be 1500 euro - so Airbnb can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the apartment keys with the contract.
Like I said, I will pay for a 3 days delivery so you will receive the Keys and the contract signed by me right away. I will explain to you step by step how this will work:
1 - To start this transaction i will need to know your full shipping information, full name, full shipping address to proceed with this deal .
2 - I go to the Airbnb Office and leave the Keys and the contract in your name as the intended receiver.
3 - Airbnb will check the envelope to see if everything is OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the Keys.
4 - Airbnb will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody, in which you will be told that they have the Keys and that they checked it.
5 - At this point you will have to go to your Bank Location and make a money transfer to the bank account of Airbnb Representative for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit is 1500 euro ( first month of rent + security deposit )
6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the infos about the money deposit to Airbnb.
7 - Airbnb will verify the payment informations and if everything is in order they will deliver the Keys and the contract to you.
8 - After you receive the package, You will go and check the apartment and in 3 days you must contact them and tell them if you keep the apartment or not, if everything is in order you will instruct Airbnb to release the funds to me.
If you don't like the apartment they will send your money back and you will send them the keys and the contract to them to return the package back to me on my expense.

Thank you for your interest and wait news from you.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union, MoneyGram or Bank Transfer payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement