Room for Rent and other rental scams
#305494 by gillmaemack Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:41 pm
Two bed flat offered to let for £1000 in Dulwich. Scammer is currently using the name Laura Carter and pretends she is a fashion designer working in Birmingham with her reason for letting the flat out that she wants 'some life in it', Had I not caught her out, I'm sure her next txt/email would have asked me to make a direct transfer to her via western union!

The number is 07557 257973
The email [email protected]
Advertisement

#306549 by 3liza. Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:22 pm
Hi, I have recently been contacted by this person with regards to a rental in Bristol. Could you give me more info as to why you are sure she was scamming you? Her offer seemed a bit too good to be true but I was kinda hoping she was just a decent person haha. Any info you can give me asap would be amazing. Did you meet with her?
x
#306553 by Bryon Williams Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:23 pm
Hello,

Make sure you can physically go inside any rental and meet the landlord face to face prior to renting.

Ask any questions you may have on Scamwarners if in doubt.

Thanks

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#306554 by oranjeboom Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:41 pm
I just want to say a big thanks to this thread. I was very nearly caught off-guard by this earlier on this evening. I had digitally signed a (now meaningless) document and was then sent the slightly suspect bank details of a PA that i was supposed to pay. It's very true that confidence tricksters can play huge games with the mind, particularly when you are in a position of weakness. I genuinely believe anyone renting is subject to being in a position of weakness by exploitative practices. Anyway, this saved my bacon this evening! So...thanks all!
I'd like to point out that Laura Carter was the name and there was a verbatim profile as previously mentioned on this thread.