Room for Rent and other rental scams
#306175 by Bryon Williams Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:41 pm
Subject: $700 / 3br - 1996 Chalybe Way (Hoover, AL)

Hello,

Thanks for your interest and inquiries about my house. The house is still available for rent and we are looking for a responsible person/family to occupy and maintain the house. Myself and my wife just traveled to Kenya Nairobi with Catholic HEART Workcamp. We will be away for about 4 years. The house is available for rent for short term and long term as we will be moving to our family house when we get back. I was unable to find a tenant before I traveled which I why I posted an ad online. My initial plan was to sell the house but it was not successful because the Realtor raised the price which made it difficult for me to sell so never mind if you see the for realtor sign in front of the house, it has already been taken off the market for sale so you will be dealing with me directly. How long do you intend to stay and how soon do you intend to move in?

Rental price: $700 per month and security deposit is $700 (security deposit is refundable).

Utilities(electric, water & trash) are included in monthly rent.

Pets are Welcome.

Below is the address to the house : 1996 Chalybe Way, Hoover, AL 35226

Get back to me so I can forward you the rent questionnaire I would want you to fill out.

Regards.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please [b]forward [/b]the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#318599 by Hollykay9490 Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:10 am
Allen Moore is not the owner according to Polk County Assessors.

This is the last email i recieved from this person:
l WANT YOU TO FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM BELOW:
RENT APPLICATION FORM.

Name (First name/ Middle name/Surname ) : __________?
Phone # : __________?
E-mail : __________?
Best time to call : __________?
How many proposed occupants : __________?
List of all occupants with approximate age : __________?
Present Address : __________?
City/State : __________?
Will you have pets : __________?
Please describe breed, size : __________?
Personality of pet : __________?
Preferred move in date : __________?
Intended length of lease: __________?
How much deposit can you put down today to secure the home for yourself : __________?
Length of previous tenancy : __________?
Present occupation : __________?
Do you run a business from home : __________?
If so what kind of business : __________?
Do you work late night : __________?
Do you smoke : __________?
Do you drink : __________?

Please feel free to ask any questions you do not understand and I will be looking forward to receive your email as soon as possible. As I am not around to show the inside, you can go check out the house and the neighborhood from the outside and get back to me if you really like it for more information. Respond as soon as you can so we can get this process started.

For more inquiries, feel free to text or call me on (610) 422-7144

Thanks and Remain Blessed.
Allen Moore
Last edited by AlanJones on Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed details of real owner of the property.