Room for Rent and other rental scams
#308237 by Bryon Williams Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:16 am
Subject: Re: 7 Sir Thomas Mitchell Drive, Bondi Beach NSW 2026

Hello,

I just read your e-mail regarding my apartment.
My name is Andreas Gerdt, I am 54 years old and and currently reside in Germany where I'm working as an architect. I bought this apartment during my living in Australia, but now i'm back home permanently so I'm renting it out. I will not use the place anymore, so you can rent it even for a long term. I am looking for a responsible person that can take a very good care of my apartment. The flat is fully furnished, renovated and equipped with air conditioning, dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, vacuum, LCD TV, etc. You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you can store my furniture in the large basement cellar. Also, very important, the utilities (water, electricity, Internet, digital TV) are included in the rent of AU $350 per week. The security bond of AU $1400 is required at the start of the lease and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required). The minimum period is 2 months and maximum period is 10 years.

In the meantime, you can please confirm the following:

· How many people would be living on the property?
· What is the duration / length of lease would you like?
· When would you like to move in?
· Do you have pets?
· More information about yourself (age, occupation, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant).

The property is being managed by Airbnb and they will handle the whole rental process.
If you want to know more about the rental process please get back to me and I will send you the step by step procedure.

Friendly greetings from Germany!

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement