Room for Rent and other rental scams
#312583 by jayme07 Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:06 pm
My daughter is looking for a rental and found on on craigslist... The rent is $600.00 which is WAY low for the area. The person on craigslist told my daughter to ignore the property manager signs because they were in the process of firing them... When I looked up the property on the property managers site it is the same photos as craigslist but the asking ent is $1550.00

I looked up the property on the public records site to see the owner's name and it is different than who emailed her as well. I am about 99% sure this is a scam, but was looking for thoughts.

The info we have:

email address [email protected]
Name Patti and Scott Shales

Their email:
Hello thanks for your interest in renting from us, my name is Patti and my husband's name is Scott our home at 1320 Hidden River Way, Reno, NV 89523 is available with the Rent of $600, refundable Security deposit of $600 & Pet deposit of $80. A very lovely 2 beds 2 baths home. I want you to swing-by the house to check it out, disregard any rental sign as we no longer employ the service of the realtor due to their act of greed. The ex realtor agent try to take advantage on our home by charging too much for rent, my husband & we were planning to sell the house before a family friend advised us to continue to rent it out instead. So in your response kindly tell me more about you with your renting history and more-so are you ready to rent it now ?
Advertisement

#312584 by Bryon Williams Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:10 pm
100% a scam.

Make sure you can physically go inside any rental to view it. Meet the landlord face to face in person.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/