Room for Rent and other rental scams
#314801 by Michelle Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:54 am

Greetings!

Thanks for your interest, my name is James Rodriguez and i own the Apartment located at (Westerstraat 52, 1015 Amsterdam, Netherlands) Due to my job as a missionary worker, I left for Edinburgh Scotland for a Christian followers crusade and i will be here for years this is why i decided to rent out the apartment.

The Monthly rent is 450Euro for this 1 Bedroom/ 1 Bathroom Apt, plus 500Euro for security deposit payment which is refundable while packing without any lost or damage of my properties, the bills of all the utilities is included in the rent amount.

The Apartment is extremely spacious about 65sqm and a room is about 35sqm. very quiet, low traffic area. I believe its absolutely a perfect home for you. If you are interested in taking care of the apartment then you can go ahead and get views of how the exterior of the apartment and the nice environment looks, or drive by and get back to me. reason for this is because i am not in the city to show you the interior but attached to this email are the interior pictures for you to know what the inside looks like.

But before any reservation, kindly tell me little about yourself:

Where are you from and also where are you presently?
What is your experience in renting an apartment?
Are you going to stay alone?
Are you paying the rent yourself?
How many month rent can you pay before moving in?
Present occupation?
Did you have car?
what is your gender?
How old are you?
Mobile Number?
Best time to call you?
Pictures of the occupant if available?

I await your good response as soon as possible so that i can tell you on how to secure the apartment. You can simply reach me on +447087691089 for further discussion on the apartment.

Have a Nice day!
James

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement