Room for Rent and other rental scams
#316741 by Michelle Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:39 am

Hi,

My name is Elisabetta Landi, the rent is €600 + €600 refundable deposit for whole apartment, the consumption charges are included in the rent/ (water, electricity, heating, internet, cable, wi-fi one parking space ) .
I'm looking for someone to live in my apartment for long term, because I was hire for a big construction project in Abu Dhabi, UAE and now I am here. I bought this flat when I worked there as part of a 10 year contract, thinking it would be a better investment than taking in rent.
I am the single owner, the apartment is fully paid and there is no legal problem. The apartment is unoccupied since I no longer live there.
I prefer to rent my flat cheaper but to a nice and responsible person.

The price will not increase during the period that you will stay there.
You can rent the apartment for an indefinite period, but for a minimum period of three months.
I would also like to know how many people will live in the apartment ?
The apartment is in excellent condition, ready to move in when you get the keys and the contract.

Since I am currently in Abu Dhabi, UAE with my job, I work for KEO International Consultants, * I'm a architectural designer* .
I propose a safe way for the two of us to complete the paperwork for hire. I will use a rental company well known worldwide called (www.airbnb.com), which will assist in the management of payment and delivery of the rental package. With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive payment.

They are very professional and have very good reputation in these services. Let me know if you are interested, so it can provide all steps of this transaction.

You need to know everything about this process before it begins. I think it is best for both.

I appreciate your interest in my apartment and I'm looking forward to our future collaboration and friendship.

I wait for your answer/decision !

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#316819 by bealive Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:29 am
On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 2:07 AM, Elisabetta Landi <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,

My name is Elisabetta Landi, the rent is 1290 SGD + 1290 SGD refundable deposit for whole apartment, the consumption charges are included in the rent/ (water, electricity, heating, internet, cable, wi-fi one parking space ) .
I'm looking for someone to live in my apartment for long term, because I was hire for a big construction project in Abu Dhabi, UAE and now I am here. I bought this flat when I worked there as part of a 10 year contract, thinking it would be a better investment than taking in rent.
I am the single owner, the apartment is fully paid and there is no legal problem. The apartment is unoccupied since I no longer live there.
I prefer to rent my flat cheaper but to a nice and responsible person.

The price will not increase during the period that you will stay there.
You can rent the apartment for an indefinite period, but for a minimum period of three months.
I would also like to know how many people will live in the apartment ?
The apartment is in excellent condition, ready to move in when you get the keys and the contract.

Since I am currently in Abu Dhabi, UAE with my job, I work for KEO International Consultants, * I'm a architectural designer* .
I propose a safe way for the two of us to complete the paperwork for hire. I will use a rental company well known worldwide called (www.airbnb.com), which will assist in the management of payment and delivery of the rental package. With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive payment.

They are very professional and have very good reputation in these services. Let me know if you are interested, so it can provide all steps of this transaction.

You need to know everything about this process before it begins. I think it is best for both.

I appreciate your interest in my apartment and I'm looking forward to our future collaboration and friendship.

I wait for your answer/decision !
#317021 by jmier Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:19 pm
Got a more or less copy of this today on a propriety in Sydney. Dodgy as hell and decided to google it, this thread came up. Thanks again

Here it is:

Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry.
My name is Anthony North and I work for KEO International Consultants as architectural designer.
I'm looking for someone to live in my apartment for long term, because I was hire for a big construction project in Abu Dhabi, UAE and now I am here. I bought this flat when I worked there as part of a 10 years contract, thinking it would be a better investment than taking in rent. I am the single owner, the apartment is fully paid and there is no legal problem. The apartment is unoccupied since I no longer live there. The property is fully furnished, renovated and equipped with air conditioning, dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, vacuum, LCD TV (exactly like in the pictures). It is nice, clean, quiet and you can move in immediately. Near you have public transportation, coffee's shops, gym and other facilities. Also it is equipped with a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture if you would like to bring yours.
The rent is AUD $350 per week + AUD $1400 refundable deposit for whole apartment, the utilities are included in the rent (water, electricity, heating, internet, cable, wi-fi, one parking space). The security bond is required at the start of the lease and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required). I prefer to rent my flat cheaper but to a nice and responsible person. The price will not increase during the period that you will stay there. You can rent the apartment for an indefinite period, but for a minimum period of three months.

Since I am currently in Abu Dhabi, UAE with my job, I propose a safe way for the two of us to complete the paperwork for hire. I will use a rental company well known worldwide called (http://www.airbnb.com), which will assist in the management of payment and inspection of property. With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive payment. They are very professional and have very good reputation in these services. Let me know if you are interested, so it can provide all steps of this transaction.

If further interested, please give me some information about yourself (age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant). Also please let me know how many people would be living on the property and exact date when you would like to move in.

Thank you,
#317199 by Claire.A Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:01 am
Hi All,

So I received the below just last week. This seems so real. I just didn't realise it was scam until a thought occurred to me. This is crazy!!

The email I received it from was [email protected]

Beware people, don't give too much information away. I am actual afraid I've given too much away

Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry.
My name is Anthony North and I work for KEO International Consultants as architectural designer.
I'm looking for someone to live in my apartment for long term, because I was hire for a big construction project in Abu Dhabi, UAE and now I am here. I bought this flat when I worked there as part of a 10 years contract, thinking it would be a better investment than taking in rent. I am the single owner, the apartment is fully paid and there is no legal problem. The apartment is unoccupied since I no longer live there. The property is fully furnished, renovated and equipped with air conditioning, dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, vacuum, LCD TV (exactly like in the pictures). It is nice, clean, quiet and you can move in immediately. Near you have public transportation, coffee's shops, gym and other facilities. Also it is equipped with a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture if you would like to bring yours.
The rent is AUD $400 per week + AUD $1,600 refundable deposit for whole apartment, the utilities are included in the rent (water, electricity, heating, internet, cable, wi-fi, one parking space). The security bond is required at the start of the lease and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required). I prefer to rent my flat cheaper but to a nice and responsible person. The price will not increase during the period that you will stay there. You can rent the apartment for an indefinite period, but for a minimum period of three months.

Since I am currently in Abu Dhabi, UAE with my job, I propose a safe way for the two of us to complete the paperwork for hire. I will use a rental company well known worldwide called (http://www.airbnb.com), which will assist in the management of payment and inspection of property. With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive payment. They are very professional and have very good reputation in these services. Let me know if you are interested, so it can provide all steps of this transaction.

If further interested, please give me some information about yourself (age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant). Also please let me know how many people would be living on the property and exact date when you would like to move in.

Thank you,