Room for Rent and other rental scams
#318503 by Michelle Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks for your reply. As regards to your request via text we can proceed with the viewing in as much you ate willing to follow the laid down procedure. However, the flat is available and i am renting the property out because i have just moved outside Lytham to start a new job in Coventry where in currently work and live and it is 5 years contract. I would need to take a day off in order to come down to Lytham and schedule viewing with you.

Some prospective tenants do not have the money to pay the rent nor the deposit, yet they disturb the landlord for viewing or arrange
viewing with their friend but some do not meet up with the appointments.

Nevertheless, you would need to pay a holding deposit of £700 in order to secure the flat. The holding deposit would be credited for the refundable security deposit once you are willing to proceed with the rent after viewing but before that, my solicitor would need some information from you to draft an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement which you will print, sign and email back to me the sign copy.

Your full name:
Current address:
Confirmed move in date:
Move out date:
Mobile number:

Please get back to me with these information so that i can tell you how to proceed and please, let me know if you have other options
because i wouldn't want to schedule viewing with you and get disappointed at the end of the day.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Boakes

Thanks for your reply. The flat is still available for rent which is located at Preston Road, Lytham St Annes Fy8 5Ay, Lancashire. I took the pictures some days ago and you can stay in my flat as long as you pay your rent at when due.

Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit.
Rent per month is £ 750 { Electricity, gas, water, Iron, Wireless internet, Washing machine, TV Licence, council tax, and waste disposal }
Security deposit of £700 {it's refundable after end of your stay in my flat.}

However, i need to know some details about you. Can you keep my flat clean and tidy? Do you have character reference? The flat is new and all the facilities present are all new so i am looking for a responsible and clean tenant.

I am reliable and open. If anything went wrong in the flat, i will make sure the problem is quickly rectified. I have been disappointed lately with unserious interested candidate when it comes to viewing or reservation so i would appreciate your sincere reply.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Boakes

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#319781 by Andrew622 Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:14 pm
This has just happened to me from a

Sandra Anne Boakes

Texted me from gum tree on

+44 7451 230584
Sent email with a. Tenancy agreement all fake for a 31 strawberry Ave Leeds £650 including bills. And £700 deposit. Thanks to scam warners reported this.
Same email as in previous users. Be aware same name
Email was [email protected] :twisted:
#320610 by Uqash86 Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:49 pm
Same situation:
e-mail: [email protected]
phone no: 07451230584 / +447451230584

Flat to rent exactly the same description.

I wanted to add foe more details:

She asked me to transfer deposit on her solicitator's account:

Here is my solicitor's Bank Account:

Account Name: T Gaze
Sort Code: 20-2519
Account number: 53026361
Bank Name: Barclays Bank

Noted MW

And she sent me her fake Certificate of Ownership in .pdf file:

Be awere of that person !
I haven't lost any money but it was pretty close!
#331865 by Bisexualitea Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:55 pm
I had this exact same scam happen to me (in fact it still is happening to me) but I'd had the same scam happen to me beforehand so I knew immediately! This time it was two at the same time: Nicola Walker and Rebecca Aldridge.

I'm still replying to nicola saying I'm going to show my police friend the email to make sure everything checks out, she is ensuring me it is not necessary... lmao. If he or she wants to mess up or even ruin people's lives then I'm going to play with her a bit and hopefully make her think twice about it next time!
#331880 by Mike Wilson Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:49 pm
This criminal has your real information we we strongly suggest that you stop all communications and just ignore any future emails or telephone calls.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#354450 by Ktxxo Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:52 pm
Ive just had this happen

'Thanks for your reply. The flat is still available for rent which is located in Benskin Road, Watford, Hertfordshire WD18 0HW.

Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit.
Rent per month is £ 600 { Electricity, gas, water, Iron, Wireless internet, Washing machine, TV Licence, council tax, and waste disposal }
Security deposit of £700 {it's refundable after end of your stay in my flat }

However, i need to know some details about you. Can you keep my flat clean and tidy? i said that simply because all the facilities present are all new so i am looking for a responsible and clean tenant.

I am reliable and open. If anything went wrong in the flat, i will make sure the problem is quickly rectified. I have been disappointed lately with unserious interested candidate when it comes to viewing or reservation so i would appreciate your sincere reply.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Deborah Wright'

'Thanks for you reply. As regards to you question, My solicitor and i would be present for the viewing on Tuesday at 6pm and you are required to come along with 2 passport photograph i will be available handover the keys to you on your arrival date to the flat.

On the term (2.3) of the contract, you are required to pay holding deposit of £700 which will be credited as security deposit in order to fully confirm the reservation for the said move in date. You are meant to transfer the holding deposit into my saving account in order to secure the property and my solicitor will bring the stamped which will be place on the signed copy of the contract during your move.

Here is my account details:

Account number: 26841682
Sort code: 23-05-80
Bank name: Metro bank
Account name: Deborah Ann Wright

Noted MW

Kindly email to me the online bank transfer confirmation receipt for verification. while making the transfer, you are require to state my property address [ 72, Benskin Road, Watford, Hertfordshire, WD18 0HW ] as reference on the payment receipt please do not forget.

Regards
Deborah Wright'
#354483 by Ktxxo Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:56 am
[email protected]

+447418329427
This is the email & phone number of ' deborah wright'

I also did research and paid £3 to check if she was the owner of the house and its linked back to some indian guy owning the house . Also i reverse image searched the photos she sent me 1 of them was stolen .

Im going to call today and see what 'she' has to say for her self. Im pregnant and vulnerable im so glad I didnt fall for this and give money . :=)
#367126 by RelentlessCat Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:42 am
I posted another ad on gumtree looking for some where to rent and he tried to scam me again! Even after I already told him I've contacted the police

Hi,

Regarding your Ad on Gum-tree, i have a lovely 3 bedroom house for rent, the house is clean and it has a washing machine, microwave, kettle, fridge/freezer, table and all other kitchen utensils.

The house is located at School Road, TQ12 2JU, Newton Abbot, Teignbridge, Devon. I took the pictures 9 days ago so they reflects the most current condition of the house. Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit.

Rent per month is £700

Security deposit of £600 protected by the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme and it's refundable after the end of your stay in my house.

Utility { water, gas, council tax, TV license, wi-fi and a secured parking space }.

However, do you have references? The house is clean so i am looking for a responsible tenant. I am reliable and open, if anything is wrong in the house, i make sure the problem is quickly rectified. The house is furnished but i can make it unfurnished or part furnished if prefer.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards
Ann Marie

6Attached Images

Images are all fake again, email address is [email protected]
#381708 by Deanobambino99 Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:23 pm
This person is scamming under the name Nicola Ann walker now, email is [email protected] and phone number is 07451216168, this person even had the audacity to rip off the council as they have paid her 900 pounds for a property in kent, obviously this person is a professional fraudster as I received a tenancy agreement, photos, the works, I was staying in a hostel and I told this person I was going to be homeless in 2 weeks and she was very convincing and seemed legit and when it came to my move in date she faked an ankle injury and keeps making up excuses why she can't come and drop the keys off so yeah this person is ruthless and needs to be stopped, I had no idea these things even happened so lesson learned I guess.
#382390 by catparry Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:44 am
So i posted an advert on Gumtree for a home to rent, i got a text and an email from Nicola Ann Walker claiming to have a home for me to rent,thank fully i thought the email seemed abit off so i decided to Google her name and i found my way to this website