Room for Rent and other rental scams
#318910 by skyrere Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:36 am
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((~~~~~~)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
The following is the response I got from my inquiry into a house that was listed at rent.com for only a thousand dollars... It was most certainly too good to be true, but it sounded so good that we could not resist the bait.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((~~~~~~)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Lovely Home <[email protected]>

Hello,

Thanks for the email. Yes, the House is still available and will only be given out to the right person that will take very good care of the place and the facilities.Well i must let you know that the house has a lot of facilities like laundry facilities,air condition,internet and telephone access and car garage and other necessary facilities.I have really decided to give out the house as a result of my transfer to Reno, Nevada my new place of employment.

I will be renting out the house for $1,000(Including Utilities) water,gas,electricity and garbage and a security deposit of $1000(refundable) $90 for each pet as pet deposit (negotiable) and I need to inform you as well that money is not the major reason why I am renting it out but want someone who can take care of it as if he/she owns it,let me know as soon as possible if you can take good care of it, so that we can discuss the rent further.

House Address: 21709 9 Ave W, Bothell, WA 98021

Bedrooms 3
Bathrooms 2
Sq. footage: 1,944

Utilities Included in the rent are water ,Gas and electricity
Pets allowed are DOGS and CATS
Drive by Immediately and see it !!!

Thanks and God bless you.
You can Text me via (657) 205-6083
Mr Abel Robinson

we responded with a little personal information, and an attempt to persuade this individual that we would be good candidates. We drove to the house and took a look. It looked great and was perfect for what we needed, and I texted him to let him know we were there and hoped to be able to meet him in person to discuss the rental. He responded with
"kindly reply to my email telling me more about your self and family"
I responded with
"I have"
then provided our names to associate with the email.
I then proceeded to advise him that two of the windows were partially open and that we could not tell if anyone had actually gotten inside and his reply was
"all will be fixed."
we were too desperate and pleased with the property to really think clearly, and when providing a little bit more about what our jobs were, received the following email

****RENT APPLICATION DETAILS***
( Private and )
FIRST NAME:__________?
MIDDLE NAME:__________?
LAST NAME:__________?
DATE OF BIRTH:_________?
PROFESSION:__________?
COMPANY WEBSITE:______?
DRIVERS LICENSE ID CARD:________?
PHONE:
(CELL)PHONE__________?
(WORK)PHONE__________?
(HOME)PHONE__________?
MARITAL STATUS:__________?
KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY________
PRESENT ADDRESS:_____________________
CITY:_______________
STATE:______________
ZIP CODE:____________
HOW LONG?___________IF RENTING
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING__________?
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING?____________?
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN?______________?
HOW SOON CAN YOU SECURE THE PROPERTY AND MAKE THE DEPOSIT PAYMENT?
IF YOU HAVE A PET,
KIND OF PETS:_____________?
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE______________ ?
DO YOU DRINK______________?
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT?____?
WHEN AND WHERE DO YOU WISH TO RECEIVE THE KEYS AND DOCUMENTS OF THE House:_______________?
REFERENCE
NAME_____________
ADDRESS_____________
Get back to me as soon as you fill the application form, I can guarantee you that this is a great House so looking forward to a future collaboration and friendship.Please note that you will only be able to drive by the House for now but can't have a look at the interior until I have sent the keys and documents of the House to you.
Cheers.

We proceeded home and filled out the information, and all the while, suspicion was barely tickling at the back of my skull...
After sending the filled in information to them, I put the title "lovely home scam" into a google search.
What I found was that the format of the emails were right on with the listed scams I found, so my husband filled out a rental scam form on the FBI website, and we started contacting our financial institutions and set up lifelock accounts to make sure that our identities were not stolen in the process...
Here is the response email I got back after emailing so much of our personal info... and also after we had started locking down our information and identities.

“Congratulations" We are happy to take you as our new tenant.

Hello Michael,
At this point we will like to say “Congratulations" We are happy to take you as our new tenant. We are satisfied with your Application and also believe l can put my trust in you in terms of taking good care of the house. We can also let you stay in the House till the period of time you wish to.We will Schedule a good time ,maybe when we are less busy to pay you a visit after you have moved in, to see how the maintenance is.However if you are ready to rent the house now then that will not be a problem but i will advice you to provide the payment for the refundable security deposit of 1000$ now so i can hold the house for you pending when you are ready to move in, as soon as the payment is been confirmed,i will send the keys and document of the house to you via FEDEX or DHL next day delivery service to your current home address (address redacted as it is my personal address),So you can have access to view the interior of the house asap.Meanwhile the package will be addressed to Michael ****** ********** (middle and last name removed by me)

I wish you best of luck in your Job, from what i saw in your application ,you must be a very responsible and hard working person, may the almighty Lord guide and protect you in whatever you do. AMEN!

Here are the contents in the package that will be sent to you through FedEx or DHL

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys.
2) Paper/Permanent House form (Containing your reference details)..
3) The House documented file.
4) Payment Receipt.
5) Signed Lease Agreement Form (sign on both copies and send one back to me)

I had two tenants who were ready to make 3 months Upfront Payment, But i rejected the offers, because they party a lot and smoke in doors ,that was the info i got from their current landlord. So please promise me you are going to take good care of my house. Kindly get back to me today so I will give you instructions on how to make the payment. Please note that the deposit is fully refundable you will love everything about this lovely home.
I await your reply ASAP

We are choosing not to respond to this email at all, and pray that others are smart enough to NOT give out their personal information to strangers like we did...
seriously. after the fact, and looking at the format of that information request, I feel really dumb, but desperate people do desperate things sometimes.
Be safe friends.
:)
Learn from our experience.
Advertisement

#384608 by greenFLAG Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:08 am
I ALMOST GOT SCAMMED. THIS WAS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.
THANK YOU FOR THIS SITE, I WANT TO HELP EMPOWER OTHERS AS WELL.

I ACTUALLY DROVE BY THIS HOUSE AND IT WAS LISTED FOR LEASE.

SEE PASTED RESPONSE BELOW:

Sorry for the late response.

We are pleased that you have an interest in our house, Our lovely home is still available for lease and we want a responsible adults/family who are neat and also believe that they have what it takes to take care of our house as if it were theirs. My wife and I initially had it up for sale through an agent but had a change of mind in leasing it out ourselves because the agent that was in charge of our rental property was asking too much of an agent fee,posting the rentals much more than i requested and also making it difficult for people who cannot afford the rent stay away from renting my house.

I am Amer Khwaja the owner of the House you are interested in. My House is located at Irvine, CA Presently am in ARIZONA with my family, we came to stay with my mother-in-law who is suffering from breast cancer On getting here we discovered that we will be staying here for at least 5 years.so we decided to look for a responsible and caring person to maintain and take proper care of my House.We are honest and sincere family and have spent a lot on our properties so I will want you to treat it as your own.The house is located at 5361 Sierra Verde Rd, Irvine, CA 92603. I will like you to go take a look at the exterior part of the house because you won't be able to go inside to see the interior hence I have all the keys here with me. You can get back to me if you are truly interested.

I will be renting out the house for $1400 (Including Utilities) water,gas,electricity and garbage and a security deposit of $1000(refundable) $90 for each pet as pet deposit (negotiable) and I need to inform you as well that money is not the major reason why I am renting it out but want someone who can take care of it as if he/she owns it,let me know as soon as possible if you can take good care of it, so that we can discuss the rent further then i could email the rental application so that we can go from there.

House Address: 5361 Sierra Verde Rd, Irvine, CA 92603
Bedrooms:3
Bathrooms: 2
Sq. footage: 1,574 sqft

Utilities Included in the rent are water ,Gas and electricity
Pets allowed are DOGS and CATS
Drive by Immediately and see it !!!

Thanks and God bless you.
Mr Amer Khwaja

***RENT APPLICATION DETAILS***

FIRST NAME:__________?
MIDDLE NAME:__________?
LAST NAME:__________?
DATE OF BIRTH:_________?
PROFESSION:__________?
COMPANY WEBSITE:______?
DRIVERS LICENSE ID CARD:________?
PHONE:
(CELL)PHONE__________?
(WORK)PHONE__________?
(HOME)PHONE__________?
MARITAL STATUS:__________?
KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY________
PRESENT ADDRESS:_____________________
CITY:_______________
STATE:______________
ZIP CODE:____________
HOW LONG?___________IF RENTING
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING__________?
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING?____________?
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN?______________?
HOW SOON CAN YOU SECURE THE PROPERTY AND MAKE THE DEPOSIT PAYMENT?
IF YOU HAVE A PET,
KIND OF PETS:_____________?
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE______________ ?
DO YOU DRINK______________?
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT?____?
WHEN AND WHERE DO YOU WISH TO RECEIVE THE KEYS AND DOCUMENTS OF THE House:_______________?
REFERENCE
NAME_____________
ADDRESS_____________
Get back to me as soon as you fill the application form, I can guarantee you that this is a great House so looking forward to a future collaboration and friendship.Please note that you will only be able to drive by the House for now but can't have a look at the interior until I have sent the keys and documents of the House to you.
Cheers

******* HOPE ALL ENJOYED THIS *********