Room for Rent and other rental scams
#320276 by Michelle Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:31 am

I want to take this opportunity to assure you that there is nothing to be worried about this rental.
I have a reputation to protect and a good Christian and I do not want to impress. Many people make promises and tend to not follow through... I'm not here to waste anyone's time. I am a very sincere and honest person.
* You will inspect the apartment before your final decision to rent.
* I will pay the transportation costs.
* The all utility bills will be redirected to me.
* If something will broke down after you moved, the building administrator will help you with everything.
I will try explain to you step by step how this will work, take a few moments and read my email carefully!

Step # 1.
In order to proceed, I need your actual information:
* Full Name
* Address
* City
* Postal code
* Country
* Phone Number
* Move IN date and for how long would you like to rent
* Copy of your passport

Step # 2.
With the information you will provide me, I will go at Airbnb office and I will leave the keys and the contract in their possession to start the process. The transportation will be done by Airbnb Express.
Here are the contents that will be delivered to you:
* Entrance and the rooms keys;
* Paper/permanent property form (Containing your reference details);
* The apartment documented file;
* Payment receipts;

This is step # 3.
* You need to deposit to Airbnb custody, first month of rent (€500) + warranty (€500) in total of €1000;
* They will proceed with the delivery and you'll receive the keys at the address provided in 48 hours;
* After you receive the keys and inspect the apartment you must give Airbnb an answer.
* In case you will rent it, you will have to supply them a copy of the contract signed by you and they will release me the funds. The contract will be signed and filled in after you will check the apartment;
* In case you will not rent it, they will refund your money and transport the keys back to me.
* Airbnb will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the keys, I'll pay for the services performed by the company, so there will not be any additional cost to you.

I will await your quick response and I will complete the transaction asap.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement