Room for Rent and other rental scams
#322224 by Michelle Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:53 am

Hello
Let me proceed to introduce myself.I am Lewis Moore by name.I am married with kid.I worked as a business consultant.I am presently in Ukraine on a long term official assignment to supervise a long term project of my client here in Ukraine.I have attached to this mail,the photo of myself,my wife and my daughter.I am satisfied with your information and i will be offering you the apartment.As i have said earlier,i am presently in Ukraine,the apartment keys and documents are with me here in Ukraine,it will be shipped to you by a postal agency because i do not have anybody that can act on my behalf. In this manner you will have to make a month deposit of 550 EURO before i can reserve the apartment,release the apartment keys and documents in order to ensure a secure transaction because of people that use apartment for something else.Once you make the deposit,the apartment will be reserved for you while the keys and documents will be shipped to you.

I will be looking forward to read from you in order for me to give you the western union money transfer details you will use in making the deposit.Also i will want you to give me the Name and Address you want me to use in sending you the apartment keys and the documents in order for me to start the shipment process as soon as you send the deposit.

Looking forward to read from you .

Cheers

Here is the western union money transfer details you will use in sending the deposit.

Receiver's Name; Lewis Moore
Address ; 12, Spartaka Str,
Kharkiv 61000,
Ukraine.

Kindly give me the below information you will be given after sending the money.

Sender's Name?
Sender's Address?
Money Transfer Control Number?
Amount sent?

I will be looking forward to read from you with the transfer details in order for me to proceed with the shipment process

Cheers

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement