Room for Rent and other rental scams
#322864 by Michelle Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:02 pm
Da: Lena Myklebust <[email protected]>

Hello,

We are a family from Norway, my name is Lena Myklebust and we bought this apartment 4 years ago for our daughter during
her studies in Belgium, but now she moved back here. We would like to tell you what we happend last week, a bad story.

We was in Belgium last week because we had to meet with a family who wanted to rent the apartment but this family never answered
the phone. As you can imagine we lost a lot of money (plane ticket, taxi...etc...). We will not come again in Belgium for nothing.

We decided to make the transaction through www.tripadvisor.com they handle rentals for people who are unable to solve them alone, which are abroad, so they will take care both the inspection of the apartment and the payment. The apartment is available immediately, so you can visit it anytime you want with an Tripadvisor agent.

I can create a private listing on Tripadvisor and if you are ready to start the reservation with Tripadvisor please email me with your details:

First and Last name:
Preferred fixed term length:
Preferred commencement date of tenancy:
Total number of occupants:
Contact number:
Your profession:
Copy of your ID or Passport:

After I will receive your details I will send you the link of the apartment posted on Tripadvisor so you can make the reservation.
I require 2 months rent + 1 month deposit (the deposit you will receive back at the end of the contract), with no extra taxes to pay.
An Tripadvisor agent can sign a standard lease agreement (in compliance with Belgian law) in my name, and you can register it as your address. I just need your info to proceed.

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Advertisement

#323064 by anais202 Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:43 am
Hi everyone, I also got an e-mail with this content. First, it seemed weird that they do everything via TripAdvisor whereas everyone knows that TripAdvisor has no employed agents. Second of all, they kept pushing that I frist pay 1 350 EUR and then I get a chance to visit the apartment. I would get 1 day to make up my mind and if I choose not to take it the money would be refunded back to me...Yeah right! Luckily I googled this e-mail address before doing anything. This is a scam people, don't fall for it!