Room for Rent and other rental scams
#279533 by Cpstar Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:10 am
DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY TO
[email protected]

Similar emails to above.
Was looking for a flat in Brighton and they got in touch with me via text.
+2348059396457

After a few email exchanges, and the request of money being sent before a viewing, I got suspicious and found her details through this website.

If I wasn't as Internet Savy, and was desperate for a property, I would have fallen for this scam.
The correspondence was quick, readable with images.
I have reported all the details to the police but wanted to confirm this scam is still up and running on this forum.

Be Internet wise people!!
Advertisement

#279574 by HillBilly Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:17 am
Hi and welcome, Cpstar. Glad you were able to avoid the scam. and happy ScamWarners was able to help. (that is the idea of the site after all)...

Please teach your friends / family to be just as internet savvy as you are :D

#326023 by Michelle Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:37 am

Thanks for the swift reply You will be so lucky to have this property as it is in a nice location and also I would like you to know that the viewing is not a problem as we can proceed with the viewing if at your own convenience but I would need to take a day off in order to come from Glasgow and schedule for the viewing in Brighton.. Yet some prospective tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing. I have been disappointed in the past when it comes to viewing by some other interested candidate when it comes to viewing as they have no penny with them still they insist to go for a viewing.

For this single reason I and my lawyer have made up our mind that before proceeding with the viewing any prospective candidate will need to make a deposit which you are suppose to pay a month rent and a security deposit but for you to be rest assured that your funds have no problem you will need to transfer just Security deposit to secure the flat the flat or make a reservation and when coming you will need to bring your passport photograph or any form of ID.
Nevertheless, i will appreciate if you would be able to get the security deposit transferred Today. Upon verification of payment, we proceed immediately with the viewing. We can proceed with the viewing tomorrow at 5pm or at your convenient time.
Please let me know if you are willing to proceed with the payment so that i can provide to you the transfer details. You will pay the rent after the viewing and note that making a deposit doesn't mean you must rent my flat after the viewing, if you decide not to proceed with the rent, then i will refund the deposit immediately without any deduction.
Hope to read from you soon.
Regards

Mr/Mrs Sanchez

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

#326041 by gaguirre Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:40 am

Hello,

My name is Phillip Cole. Thanks for your response.

I intend renting this house to a responsible God fearing family who would treat my house as his/her own. My wife and I work for USAID. USAID works to foster democracy & governance, economic growth, agriculture, the environment, education, health, global partnerships, and humanitarian assistance in more than 100 countries to provide a better future for all. USAID efforts are to foster world-wide economic growth and trade; and tackling cross-border issues such human as trafficking and the spread of HIV/AIDS.There are a host of other threats ranging from terrorism to infectious disease and violent conflict that challenge us and the developing nations we seek to help. Here is USAID Web address:-http://www.usaid.gov. As a result of our job, we were transferred to Maryland and we will be away for some time or more and this is why we are actually renting out our house. So if you are interested and will take good care of our house then we will be ready to accept you as our future tenant and family friend.If you really impress us by taking good care of our house then you will be allowed to stay as long as you wish. Our transfer was really quick so we could not get a good Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when we knew how long we are going to stay that we decided to rent out the house. However, the initial plan was to sell out the house, which we tried but sometimes the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell. The utilities are included in the rent. Because of this reason and more, we need a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money, but want it to be clean and for you to take it as if it were yours.

Information about the house below:

The rent is: $1000,and the security deposit is $1000
3 Bedroom,2.5 Bathroom
Address: 5540 E Vista Del Este,Anaheim
State: CA
Zip code: 92807
Sq. footage: 1,637 Sq.ft
Pets are also Welcome.

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF

RENT APPLICATION FORM:

FIRST NAME:__________________
MIDDLE NAME:_________________ ?
LAST NAME:__________________ ?
PROFESSION:________________ ?
MONTHLY INCOME_____________?
(CELL) PHONE (____)__________
(WORK) PHONE (____)__________ ?
(HOME) PHONE (____)__________ ?
KIDS_____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY________
PRESENT ADDRESS:_____________________ ?
CITY:_______________ ?
STATE:______________ ?
ZIP CODE:____________ ?
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN?______________ ?
IF YOU HAVE A PET,

Comment ...................................

PS: You can drive by and see my place from the outside for now but if you drive by the home, you may see a sign there. You have nothing to worry about. It belongs to our previous agent and don't have to call them because they do not have access to the house anymore. If you are interested in renting and would fulfil the obligations as listed above, get the application filled out and get back to me.

Best Regards
Phillip Cole
#358423 by carahfaye Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:06 pm
Property scam by Mary [email protected]
Mobile 07451236522
This person contacted me today 3/3/2018 about renting her flat she emailed pics to me and I knew straight away there was no way this was real..It was a luxury flat for £550 a month! I asked her where the property was and she never got back to me.
I checked for a scam wit her name and came across this site and glad I did as I can see this scammer has been going for years!..why can't anyone catch her/him do you think?... :?:
#362667 by RenataCieslak Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 pm
hi, I got very attractive house rent offer from her today (20.4.2018):
she sent pictures of flat, address, information about deposit - 755£ per month for 1 BHK, no utility bills
after request for viewing the flat I got mail from her

"Thanks for the reply, Regarding to your question, its possible for you to come for the viewing. However, you can move in to the flat Asap as i am giving you 100% guarantee as the flat is still available. I would need to take a day off in order to come from Bristol and schedule for the viewing London. Yet some prospective tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and they disturb the landlord to arrange a viewing, so i wouldn't like such to happen again.

More so, i have 2 other interested candidates that also willing to make an advance deposit to secure the flat but i declined because they have a big family with children, and pets which is not accepted.

Nevertheless, It's would be fine if you would be able to get the security deposit transferred today. Upon verification of payment, we proceed immediately with the viewing. We can proceed with the viewing Tomorrow at 5pm or at your convenient time. Please let me know if you are willing to proceed with the payment so that i can provide to you the bank account details.

Then you'll pay the rent either weekly or monthly and note that making a deposit doesn't mean you must rent my flat after the viewing, if you decide not to proceed with the rent, then i will refund the deposit immediately without any deduction.

Hope to read from you soon.

Regards"

be careful with her
#362676 by RenataCieslak Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:33 pm
Same mail: [email protected] used today 20/4/2018
I was not provided with her mobile number

full conversation from above email address:

"Here are the necessary things you need to know about my flat
The rent is £ 755 per calendar month
Security Deposit is £ 600.00 which is refundable after 1 month stay in my House. Utility bills inclusive ( water, gas, council tax, TV license, wireless Internet, Electricity and house cleaner bill) Utility Cost : £ 0.00 pcm

More so, the flat is fully furnished and equipped with all necessary house facilities also benefits a secured parking space but i can make it unfurnished if prefer. At this stage that you want to rent my flat. How many month do you intend to rent and pay for? where you are coming from to stay in my flat

Kindly reply for further information.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Sanchez
"

"Thanks again for the swift reply, We provide tenancy agreement if after the viewing you like the House and ready to move in and you can rent for long term if you are capable to pay your rent at when due and take good care of the flat.

I hope you understand that.

Regards"

and later on - request for payment before viewing the flat,
stay alert from her
#370161 by richc Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 am
I have received an SMS today from 07451236522. The message itself is very strange and I am happy to have found other people that have reported receiving the same thing before, which avoided me wasting my time:
"I got your advert on Room buddie seeking for a room in London. I have got a flat that will suit your requirement. Kindly get back to me with your email address for further information."