Room for Rent and other rental scams
#326907 by Bryon Williams Tue May 02, 2017 3:09 pm
Using this email address on listing sites: [email protected]

Hello,

Thanks for your email query regarding my apartment and I'm sorry for the delayed answer.
My name is Clare Sadler. I'm a research engineer for a pharmaceutical company called Norvatis Pharmaceutical. I lived in this apartment until last month, when my company started a new project in Portugal and I had to move here for the next 5 years, so the apartment is available for long-term. The apartment is completely furnished with high quality furniture, all the necessary equipment and appliances. New fitted kitchen (cooking area, electric oven, refrigerator, washing machine) with dining table for up to 4 persons. Plates, cups, glasses, cutlery, pots, pans - everything for cooking is available. As you saw in the pictures it is in excellent condition, very clean and well kept. You have full access to all building amenities, near you have public transportation, coffee's shops and other facilities. Pets are allowed. The property can also be rented unfurnished in which case i will arrange for furniture to be collected and placed in storage. That's all i can say for now until you have a taste of my place. Here you can find photos with the apartment: https://postimg.org/gallery/fhb0yyh4/

The rent will be $390 per week including all utilities. Also, a security deposit (bond) of $1560 is required at the start of the lease and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required). You have to pay one month’s rent in advance plus a security deposit which is held against damages. The time period for the lease is negotiable - what ever suits you well.
If further interested, please give me some information about yourself (photos, age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant).
Also please let me know how many people would be living on the property and exact date when you would like to move in.

Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I hope you had a great weekend.
I'm ready to organize an inspection so you can view the apartment, but as I said in my previous email I'm currently located to Portugal with my job so to make the renting procedures I would like to use Airbnb to find a tenant (only at the beginning). I don't have any relatives there who could arrange a viewing with you and unfortunately, my job does not allow me to do any traveling for the next few months so for the moment I will not be viable to come and meet you personally.
Before to proceed with the booking through Airbnb let me explain how they handle this transaction. Like any other transactions on Airbnb, they will handle payment and it will be released to me only after you check in. Here is how the Airbnb process works:

- I register the transaction with Airbnb
- You submit deposit to Airbnb company
- You will meet an Airbnb agent and inspect the apartment
- You approve the property, sign the contract and move in
- Airbnb releases payment to me

If you decide not to rent the apartment, Airbnb will give your money back in 24 hours.
In order to book an inspection, I will need your personal information (name, address, phone number and a scanned copy of your ID or passport), the move-in date and lease agreement preferred. (e.g. 6 months or 1 year rental contract with option of renewal). The lease agreement will be a standard one from the Australian government. Once I have your details, I will initiated the booking through Airbnb. After that you will receive a notification message from them containing a receipt with all information about rental and inspection time along with payment instructions to secure the booking.
In case you're tied up in another contract and cannot move in immediately, we can arrange the inspection now and reserve the apartment for you.
If you have any other questions I would like to respond with pleasure.

Best regards,
Clare Sadler

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#326910 by Bryon Williams Tue May 02, 2017 3:25 pm
Domain Name: NOVARTIS-PHARMACEUTICAL.COM
Registrar: TUCOWS DOMAINS INC.
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 69
Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
Referral URL: http://www.tucowsdomains.com
Name Server: DNS.TECHNORAIL.COM
Name Server: DNS2.TECHNORAIL.COM
Name Server: DNS3.ARUBADNS.NET
Name Server: DNS4.ARUBADNS.CZ
Updated Date: 27-mar-2017
Creation Date: 12-mar-2017
Expiration Date: 12-mar-2018

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#328092 by Bryon Williams Mon May 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Subject: Property enquiry for 9 Eades Street, East Melbourne VIC 3002 (Contact: Clare Sadler)

Hello,

Thanks for your email query regarding my apartment and I'm sorry for the delayed answer.
My name is Clare Sadler. I'm a research engineer for a pharmaceutical company called Norvatis Pharmaceutical. I lived in this apartment until last month, when my company started a new project in Italy (Europe) and I had to move here for the next 5 years, so the apartment is available for long-term. The apartment is completely furnished with high quality furniture, all the necessary equipment and appliances.​ New fitted kitchen (cooking area, electric oven, refrigerator, washing machine) with dining table for up to 4 persons. Plates, cups, glasses, cutlery, pots, pans - everything for cooking is available. As you saw in the pictures it is in excellent condition, very clean and well kept. You have full access to all building amenities, near you have public transportation, coffee's shops and other facilities. Pets are allowed. The property can also be rented unfurnished in which case i will arrange for furniture to be collected and placed in storage. That's all i can say for now until you have a taste of my place. Here you can find photos with the apartment: https://postimg.org/gallery/magyyqog/

The rent will be $350 per week including all utilities. Also, a security deposit (bond) of $1400 is required at the start of the lease and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required). You have to pay one month’s rent in advance plus a security deposit which is held against damages. The time period for the lease is negotiable - what ever suits you well.
If further interested, please give me some information about yourself (photos, age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant).
Also please let me know how many people would be living on the property and exact date when you would like to move in.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.