Room for Rent and other rental scams
#327590 by RentalAlerts Wed May 10, 2017 5:21 am
Copy of email being sent

Hello,

I am Alfredo Eugenio Montero, the owner of the property, and i'm happy to let you know that it is presently available even for long and short term periods. I bought this property for my daughter during her studies in Ireland, but now she's back home in Spain, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time (obviously preferable for long periods).

The property looks like in the pictures. The utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spot, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of Eur1,300 per month plus one month deposit of Eur1,300 is also requested and fully refundable once you decide to leave the apartment (with a 30 days notice before). As from my side, i will never ask you to leave the apartment because my daughter is permanently living here in Madrid/Spain, so we won't disturb you.

Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the property, and for how long.

All the best from Spain,

Alfredo Eugenio Montero
Empresario
Madrid, España
Advertisement

#327591 by RentalAlerts Wed May 10, 2017 5:23 am
Follow up email being sent:

Hi again,

Everything sounds good, but as I said, I live in Madrid/Spain and unfortunately i cant be present to deal in person. I can arrange to rent the apartment from Spain through AIRBNB, which is the biggest international website dealing specifically in rentals properties.

I hope you are familiar with Airbnb, but if not i'll explain you how it works..
If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name, the date when you want to enter in the apartment, how many people would live there and for how long.. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them with your details. Next you will receive a notification message with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys with the rental contract.

This is the only way i can proceed, so hopefully you will find it ok in order to secure the apt in your favor...

Let me know,

Alfredo Eugenio Montero
Empresario
Madrid, España
#328752 by Jonathan S Mon May 22, 2017 11:38 am
Howdy, I too have gotten the same email, with different extension, I'll post it down below
------------------------------------

Hello,

I am Alfredo Eugenio Montero, the owner of the property, and i'm happy to let you know that it is presently available even for long and short term periods. I bought this property for my daughter during her studies in the US, but now she's back home in Spain, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time (obviously preferable for long periods).

The property looks like in the pictures. The utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spot, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of $1,000 per month plus one month deposit of $1,000 is also requested and fully refundable once you decide to leave the apartment (with a 30 days notice before). As from my side, i will never ask you to leave the apartment because my daughter is permanently living here in Madrid/Spain, so we won't disturb you.

Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the property, and for how long.

All the best from Spain,

Alfredo Eugenio Montero
Empresario
Madrid, España

------------------------------------------------
to be honest, my immediate red flag wasn't the good deal, it wasn't the fact that it was furnished, or that he is currently in a different country with a shoddy backstory and I mean, I haven't even made it to the AIRBNB spiel yet, but what gave him away was him signing as Empresario, or businessman, which i found hilarious for some odd reason. Anyways,
Cheers,