Room for Rent and other rental scams
#328526 by Christi Polain Fri May 19, 2017 5:42 pm
EMAIL ONE:
On May 18, 2017 4:21 PM, "Lee Ward" < [email protected] > wrote:
Hello,

I have a request: Can we discuss in English language? My Chinese language is not very good .

My Apartment is still available for rent and we are looking for a responsible person/family to occupy and maintain the house , since we don't live in Taiwan anymore .

About the price : The rent price is 19000 $NT per month including water,internet/TV Cable,management fees and 1 parking space. Also, a security deposit (bond) of 19000 $NT is required and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required).

Now, a little bit about myself : My English name is Waller and i'm the owner of the apartment .
I am a Singaporean , living now in Athens, Greece. I am 61 years old I just retired after working for 25 years with Standard Chartered Bank Singapore . I was heading the Commodity Finance Department as a senior manager. My wife is a retired nurse and also 61 year old. Both of us are staying now in Athens.
I bought this apartment for my son (aged 24) , during his studies in Taipei, but now he's back home permanently (graduation), so I'm renting the house. I also have a daughter (aged 29) works as a school teacher in Singapore.

Unfortunately, my health doesn’t allow me to do any travel for the next few months, so I will not be able to come and meet you personally for a while.
I can make the viewing arrangements (on my expense of course) so you can be able to inspect my apartment personally .

If you have other questions about my apartment , just ask me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EMAIL TWO:
On May 19, 2017 3:59 AM, "Lee Ward" <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello ,

Thank you for all the info provided. I don't have a problem with your moving date but we need to start the viewing process this week so i can have a decision from your side ( positive or negative) as soon as possible.
Because I don’t had time to find a trustworthy person, don’t have any friends in the area to send the keys, I found an alternate solution . In order to close the viewing process safe for both of us, I found a rental agency who will handle everything (Viewing and payment).
To avoid any misunderstanding i will be glad to explain to you step by step how the viewing procedure works through this agency .

In the meantime, can you please confirm the following:

· What term/length lease would you like?
· Do you have pets? (if yes, what kind?)

Thanks,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EMIL THREE:
Hello ,
You seem to be a nice person . Also ,after I spoke with my wife we decided that you are suitable to rent our apartment ( after the viewing) .

As i told you before , i found an agency who will handle everything (Airbnb Long Rentals) . This agency is a division of Airbnb ( Maybe you heard about them since they are very popular ) and is used for long-terms contracts.

This are the viewing steps :
1 - To start the process i will need your info(full name, delivery address and a cell phone number where you can be reached).
2 - I will go to the Airbnb Long Rentals office to deposit the keys and the ownership documents .
They will confirm with the building management that I'm the legal owner of the apartment I'm renting to you.
3 - Airbnb Long Rentals will send you an invoice notification (via email) with the transaction details to inform you that they have the keys and the documents in their custody.
4 - When you will receive the invoice, you’ll have to transfer the payment (one month of rent + the security deposit) to Airbnb Long Rentals, according to the instructions from the invoice. The deposit will be just a formality, and it will not commit you to rent my apartment.
5 - Your payment will remain in the custody of Airbnb Long Rentals until you will check the apartment and move in .
After you will pay the deposit, Airbnb Long Rentals will send an agent to your registered address (in the next 24-48 hours) to deliver you the keys of my apartment . The Airbnb Long Rentals agent will also assist you at inspection and will help you to sign the legal documents .
6 - If you will like my apartment, you will sign the contract and you will be able to move when you desire . If you will decide to don't rent my apartment ,Airbnb Long Rentals will refund your full payment .

The entire viewing process will take 2-3 days. I will pay the Airbnb Long Rentals fees, since is my fault that i cannot come to show you the apartment personally.If you want , i can send you some pictures of my family, my passport, my last work ID, Taiwan resident certificate, in order to show you my identity .

Thank you

**********************************************************************************************************
After it , the listing disappeared from the rent.591.com.tw page, phone numbers don't work (from the beginning) and we are disappointed but keep on looking , watch out! the story its the same for all the cases i've read.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Fri May 19, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotations.
Advertisement

#328527 by Bryon Williams Fri May 19, 2017 5:47 pm
This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/