Room for Rent and other rental scams
#331663 by Michelle Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:12 am
rom: Beatriz Costa [mailto:[email protected]]

Hello
Thank you for your interest. My name is Beatriz Costa, owner of the unit . I am happy to let you know that my unit is available for a long and short term lease period. I set the monthly rent at $900 with all utility bills included ( hot / cold water, gas, electricity, cable & Wi-Fi ) and I also require a security deposit $900 refundable after the lease period. It has all the necessary amenities such as cable TV, high-speed internet, air conditioning, own washer and dryer, private parking. Well behaved pets are allowed.
My father bought this place for me during my studies in the US, but now I'm back home ( London, United Kingdom ) permanently, so I'm renting the place for an unlimited time. I'm building my live here so I won't disturb you and I will never ask you to leave the place. Since I am in United Kingdom, I found a way to rent my unit safe and fast trough a company called Airbnb , which will handle the rental agreement on my behalf. This won't affect you at all . All arrangements will be on my expense.
Before we go any further, I would like to know a little something about you, how many persons will inhabit there , and for how long.
Here is also the link with all pictures of my apartment:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 1JVa000WGs

Thank you

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#333036 by Michelle Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:03 pm
Beatriz Costa <[email protected]> wrote:

I can rent it for as long as you want. The unit is empty and you can move in right away.
I will gladly sign the contract with you if we can reach an agreement. As I explained in the previous email, I live in United Kingdom. Unfortunately, I don't have any friends or other person back in United States who could arrange a viewing with you. In order to make the rental process easier for both of us, I would like to use Airbnb.com (https://airbnb.com/trust) as they are currently managing my property. I got my property listed there and I will provide you the link so you can complete the booking by yourself. You can rent the property from few months to unlimited time ( few years ). After you complete the booking you will receive the deposit details and rental contract which must be signed by you .
After booking they will require the first month’s rent + one month refundable deposit, meaning a total of $1800 has to be deposited with Airbnb. You will receive the refundable deposit when you finish the contract.
Keys will be mailed to your location after lease contract is signed by you. If you are not satisfied with the property you can cancel the contract at any time and get full refund. let me know if you want to begin rental process and I will reply with the link were my property is listed.
Kind Regards