Room for Rent and other rental scams
#332169 by Michelle Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:21 am

Attached is the rental agreement, Kindly get it signed and scan back to me asap. Also you will need to make the payment to my Attorney, and as soon as the payment has been received, you will be notified and the apartment will be reserved for your move in date. Below is the details to get the payment sent by Money gram.

Name - James Jones
Address - 40 Capitol Dr
City - Plainfield
State - Indiana
Zipcode - 46180
Country - USA

We could have provided a bank account but we do not know how long it takes for an international wire transfer to come into our account, so therefore we prefer a Money gram transfer that will be received the same day..

As soon as the payment has been confirmed, the receipt of payment will be forwarded to you. Kindly get back to me as soon as possible.. Thank you

Paul

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#334595 by Michelle Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:35 am
Paul Hart <[email protected]

Glad to read back from you. We require the security deposit and 1 month rent payment upfront to secure the apartment but before that, i will need some information from you to draft a contract which you will print and bring along with you on your move in date.

Your full name:
Present address:
Confirmed moving in date:
Confirmed moving out date:
Phone Number :

Kindly get back to me with these information so that i can tell you how to proceed with the payment. Feel free to contact me on 408-634-7385, if i do not answer, you may leave a voice note, and i will shortly get back to you.