Room for Rent and other rental scams
#333520 by Michelle Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Good day to make meeting plans without failure, i will like you to make a transfer of two (2) months rent plus security deposit (€1,000+€300=€1,300) via Western Union or Money Gram using your name as the receiver of the money while you use the name of your friend or someone you can trust, as the sender of the money with a proof of the receipt that you have successfully done the transfer as you are yet to view the apartment. After the viewing on your arrival if you are okay with the house, we can go to any nearest Western Union or Money Gram and collect the money and you pay me in person same day. I do not want you to have the feeling that I am asking for money before you see what you are renting because i know that payment is meant to be done after you have seen the house and okay with it that is why i said you should make the transfer to yourself so that you will be the one to receive the money and pay me in person after the viewing. And i will let you know that I will return back to you the full transfer charges whether you decide to rent the flat or not when we meet as soon as the deposit is available and can be verified i would have my attorney forward you a legal lease contract form between us. This is how the transfer process would be.

Sender's name:- Your friend or someone you can trust name
Sender's address:- Their address
Receiver's name:- Your name
Receiver's address:-Düsseldorf, Germany.

By doing this, your money is 100% safe since you would be the only person eligible to receive it here in Düsseldorf. Thank you so much for understanding and i really look forward to meeting you because i am sure you would love it here. Please try to understand this. It was due to last experience i hate disappointments i would forward you a contract form also i cant just bank on words i really need to see proof that you are financially buoyant and capable of staying in my apartment, hope you understand your money is no problem for me but its okay as your deposit would have the apartment reserved. I await your response ASAP because i have stopped talking to other people regarding the flat as well :)).

Cheers
Jackson

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement