Room for Rent and other rental scams
#335680 by middlehalf22 Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:07 pm
He has changed his name to "Eng. Paul Raymond Tucker"!! I can't believe I found this thread but I knew this had to be too good to be true. Here is the email I was sent:

Hello,
Sorry for the delayed response .Thank you for taking the time to look at my apartment. I'm the owner, my name is Paul Tucker.
Now a few words about the place. The apartment comes fully furnished, is very clean, quiet, and you can move in immediately. It has cable TV, high-speed internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. There are two parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture. Well behaved pets are allowed. The area is just great and a very safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent is $1600 - utilities included (Cable, water, sewer, electricity, heat) and please note that the rent is for the entire apartment. I am looking for someone to rent anywhere from 1 month to 5 years or more. Most of the time I'm offshore, I inspect oil rigs for a living and I'm looking for a responsible person that can take a very good care of my apartment. I had some bad tenants and now I had the property completely refurbished (see attached photos). As you can see I am not after a high profit, but after good tenants who will treat my property as their own home and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
The property is being managed by Airbnb and they will handle the whole rental process since I work offshore for the time being.
If you want to know more about the rental process please get back to me and I will send you the step by step procedure.

Find attached more photos and let me know if you like the apartment.

Regards,
Eng. Paul Tucker

-----

In the next e-mail he sent a picture of his passport with his name changed. I have not been contacted by Airbnb as I was contacted about this just this morning. Beware!

It also seems like he goes by another alias as well: "Eng. Paul Raymond Mitchell" -- Here is the link to that report: https://www.fraudwatchers.org/forum/vie ... 9&t=140279
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Added quotation.
Advertisement

#335684 by Bryon Williams Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:25 pm
[email protected]

Domain Name: TUCKER-INSPECTIONS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2142810319_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namecheap.com
Registrar URL: http://www.namecheap.com
Updated Date: 2017-07-13T18:20:06Z
Creation Date: 2017-07-13T18:20:03Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2018-07-13T18:20:03Z

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#335688 by Bryon Williams Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:07 pm
Domain Name: VIEW-LONG-TERM-BOOKING.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2135766693_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namecheap.com
Registrar URL: http://www.namecheap.com
Updated Date: 2017-06-21T17:21:22Z
Creation Date: 2017-06-21T17:21:20Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2018-06-21T17:21:20Z

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#335781 by Bryon Williams Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:53 pm
Subject: Apartment for rent - Brainerd Rd, Boston

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to look at my apartment. I'm the owner, my name is Paul Tucker.
Now a few words about the place. The apartment comes fully furnished, is very clean, quiet, and you can move in immediately. It has cable TV, high-speed internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. There are two parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture. Well behaved pets are allowed. The area is just great and a very safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent is $800 - utilities included (Cable, water, sewer, electricity, heat) and please note that the rent is for the entire apartment. I am looking for someone to rent anywhere from 1 month to 5 years or more. Most of the time I'm offshore, I inspect oil rigs for a living and I'm looking for a responsible person that can take a very good care of my apartment. I had some bad tenants and now I had the property completely refurbished (see attached photos). As you can see I am not after a high profit, but after good tenants who will treat my property as their own home and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
The property is being managed by Airbnb and they will handle the whole rental process since I work offshore for the time being.
If you want to know more about the rental process please get back to me and I will send you the step by step procedure.

Regards,
Eng. Paul Tucker

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

#336379 by Aptmanager Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:37 am
I am the property manager for the buiding that he is posting about in Washington, DC on H Street. It is a definite scam - the rent wouldn't cover his condo fees and we have no owner by any of the names that he has been using for 925 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20001
#336388 by Bryon Williams Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:58 pm
Subject: Apartment for rent - N 27th St ,Philadelphia

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to look at my apartment. I'm the owner, my name is Paul Tucker.
The monthly rent is $500 - utilities included (Cable, water, sewer, electricity, heat) and please note that the rent is for the entire apartment. I am looking for someone to rent anywhere from 1 month to 5 years or more. Most of the time I'm offshore, I inspect oil rigs for a living and I'm looking for a responsible person that can take a very good care of my apartment. I had some bad tenants and now I had the property completely refurbished (see attached photos). As you can see I am not after a high profit, but after good tenants who will treat my property as their own home and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.

Regards,
Eng. Paul Tucker

Paul Tucker < [email protected] > wrote:

Hello again xxxxxxxxx,
As I already told you in my first email, Airbnb will handle the renting process in my behalf due to my offshore job. I will have to contact the Airbnb agency and provide them all the necessary information so they can start the rental process.For that I will need your full name, rental period with exact move-in date, if other persons will be living with you, your email, phone number and a copy if your ID or Passport if possible.
To secure the apartment you will be instructed to pay just the security deposit of $500 to Airbnb to confirm reservation ( which is fully refundable in case you don't like the apartment ). Only once the deposit is paid an agent will be assigned to handle the visit/ inspection so you will not be able to visit the apartment before the reservation.(Aibnb is a 20 billion dollars company but it has to manage more than 1,500,000 locations, so they would need an impossible number of agents to present every location they have without a deposit confirmation)
Once you confirm the payment you'll have two options, I could send you the keys by FedEx or you can meet the agent that will hand over the keys and rental agreement. Please note they require up to 48 hours to process your payment and rental details before they assign the agent that will handle the walk-through and all. The $500 security deposit will be refunded immediately if you don't like the place or once the contract will end if you decide to rent. ( but only If the apartment is not vandalized or something).
If you are satisfied with the apartment all you have to do is to provide a valid ID, pay the first month rent and sign the lease agreement. After you move in, the monthly payment will be sent directly to my bank account. If that is acceptable please provide the requested details and I will submit your application right away. I will send the Airbnb reservation offer to your email and you can take it from there.

Very important !! Please reply only if you fully understand the process as I have been disappointed lately with unserious persons when it comes to reserving. I'll have to pay for the transaction fees and just in case you change your mind I will not receive a refund from them!

You will find attached a photo of my passport for more transparency.

Regards,
Eng. Paul Tucker

Scammers are now requesting payments through non traceable Itune cards and other prepaid cards. It is still a scam.
Subject: RE: Apartment for rent - N 27th St ,Philadelphia

Hello, I just sent the airbnb offer and you are now welcome to reserve the apartment. Did you receive it ? If you have any problems or If you would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask or just let me know after you complete the reservation process.
PS: I wanted iTunes as payment method for the reservation because all the transactions completed using iTunes will have a 3% redirect to "American Cancer Organization ( ACO)" and I have like personal reasons in choosing this method, I hope is not to much trouble for you, Is a very simple process, you can find the cards in any CVS, 7/11 or Walgreen's.

Paul Tucker <[email protected]> wrote:

Once you complete the reservation you will see further instructions, invoice and all in order to make the payment using iTunes. Is a very simple process, all you have to do is to buy the cards from any CVS or 7/11, must be at least a dozen of other stores where you can find the iTunes but first you must complete the reservation process.

The scammer sent a stolen passport. As you can see he request passports and Id's from his victims.
Subject: Re: Apartment for rent - N 27th St ,Philadelphia

Skeptical ? The payment method can not be changed at this point. I've sent you my passport, you saw my reviews on Airbnb, everything is impeccable. I assure you that I am a very serious host here and I would rather close this deal with other person than knowing that you'll be very stressed hoping that I am an honest person, until you see the apartment. Your peace of mind is a lot more important than this deal and if you decide not to go through with it there is no problem. Thank you so much for your time and interest.
Whatever you decide I wish you good luck

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card/Itune cards or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

#336985 by purpleling Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:05 am
I got the same other report of this scam of the rental apartment.. first above I did not know that was scam
The email:
Hello,
Sorry for the delayed response .Sorry for the delayed response .Thank you for taking the time to look at my apartment. I'm the owner, my name is Paul Tucker.
The monthly rent is $900 - utilities included (Cable, water, sewer, electricity, heat) and please note that the rent is for the entire apartment. I am looking for someone to rent anywhere from 1 month to 5 years or more. Most of the time I'm offshore, I inspect oil rigs for a living and I'm looking for a responsible person that can take a very good care of my apartment. I had some bad tenants and now I had the property completely refurbished (see attached photos). As you can see I am not after a high profit, but after good tenants who will treat my property as their own home and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.

Regards,
Eng. Paul Tucker

And second time of email

Hello again,
As I already told you in my first email, Airbnb will handle the renting process in my behalf due to my offshore job. I will have to contact the Airbnb agency and provide them all the necessary information so they can start the rental process.For that I will need your full name, rental period with exact move-in date, if other persons will be living with you, your email, phone number and a copy if your ID or Passport if possible.
To secure the apartment you will be instructed to pay just the security deposit of $500 to Airbnb to confirm reservation ( which is fully refundable in case you don't like the apartment ). Only once the deposit is paid an agent will be assigned to handle the visit/ inspection so you will not be able to visit the apartment before the reservation.(Aibnb is a 20 billion dollars company but it has to manage more than 1,500,000 locations, so they would need an impossible number of agents to present every location they have without a deposit confirmation)
Once you confirm the payment you'll have two options, I could send you the keys by FedEx or you can meet the agent that will hand over the keys and rental agreement. Please note they require up to 48 hours to process your payment and rental details before they assign the agent that will handle the walk-through and all. The $500 security deposit will be refunded immediately if you don't like the place or once the contract will end if you decide to rent. ( but only If the apartment is not vandalized or something).
If you are satisfied with the apartment all you have to do is to provide a valid ID, pay the first month rent and sign the lease agreement. After you move in, the monthly payment will be sent directly to my bank account. If that is acceptable please provide the requested details and I will submit your application right away. I will send the Airbnb reservation offer to your email and you can take it from there.

Very important !! Please reply only if you fully understand the process as I have been disappointed lately with unserious persons when it comes to reserving. I'll have to pay for the transaction fees and just in case you change your mind I will not receive a refund from them!

You will find attached a photo of my passport for more transparency.

Regards,
Eng. Paul Tucker

First time, I did not realize it was scam but check The email on the google.. that other report the same issue ... too good to be trust... just need more careful when search online~
Last edited by Tim Atem on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotes for clarity.