Room for Rent and other rental scams
#335855 by Michelle Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:31 am
Heart Desire <[email protected]> wrote:

Thanks for showing interest in my sublet apartment. I am on the verge of moving to Oregon ahead of a short term work this week. I intend to arrive in Portland, Oregon a week before I start work and would soon be relocating to have my accommodation situation in Oregon sorted ASAP as well as get myself familiar with the area. I work as a Software Development Engineer and have just been transferred by my company to its Oregon office for 6 month.

My apartment is fully furnished with everything, from living room appliances and furniture w/pull-over sofa, to TV/cable DVD player, WiFi, center carpet. Bedroom consists wardrobes and drawers and new sheets as well. Also complete kitchen tools and equipment's too, such as a new refrigerator, stove/oven, microwave, cooking pots and pans, dishes and glasses, electric kettle, etc. You can consider moving in with your personal belongings only. Utilities covered are electric, water, gas, cable, telephone, Internet and garbage disposal.

There are no strict policies to having pets in the apartment, but I would prefer to have not more than 2 dogs/cats. Parking available

I will be interested in sealing something soon for 1 to 2/3 months or for the whole 6 months, if possible. There are no background checks or management processes required to secure the apartment, just the usual data form and a sublease agreement to sign and finalize. And since I have a long-term existing lease in the building, the rents (and deposit) will be paid to the landlord on a monthly basis by check or bank. I might not be able to come around to show the apartment, I can send photos of the apartment to let you have full insight of it.

Finally, I'd like if you can share some information about yourself also when you write me in the email.

I look forward to your email and any more questions you may have.

Best Regards

Alex

Thanks for the response towards my apartment, I am glad to read a little about you because I am looking for someone who is reliable and responsible to take good care of my wares and belongings pending the time you will be staying in my apartment and I believe you will. My unit is located in a very conducive and great environment for a learned person to stay and enjoy his or her life. The closest metro line to General Scott is Dupont Circle or Farragut North on the red line which is 3 minutes walk and the nearest grocery store is the Whole Foods Market at 14th and P St NW and nearest best restaurant Trio Restaurant where you can have typical American breakfast. There is fitness centre around the area as well.

My unit is located at 1 Scott Circle NW, Washington, DC, I won't be able to show you round the apartment but I have enclosed the photos so you can have full insight, the monthly rent fee is $1,240 which utilities are included and parking as well. The security deposit is $1,000 which will be refunded back to you immediately the lease ends if there are no damages in my unit on inspection.

I have attached the rental application form, fill the form appropriately and return it back so the relevant information will be use in preparing the sublease agreement for your move in. I await your response soon.

Alex

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#353478 by Bryon Williams Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:49 pm
Subject: 1 BEDROOM APARTMENT FULLY FURNISHED

Good Afternoon xxxxxx,

Thanks for the email you provided for more information about my sublet apartment. A little about myself I currently work full time as a Software Development Engineer at Amazon Robotics here in Washington, DC. I have decided to take a temporary travel position in our New York office when my current lease is up the end of November,2018. I’ve got a temporary lease in a new apartment in that vicinity of Brooklyn, New York.

My apartment is a lovely and perfect fit for a learned person to enjoy his or her life in a very cool atmosphere or environment, It is a fully furnished one bedroom apartment which includes the living room appliances and furniture w/pull-over sofa, to TV/cable DVD player, WiFi, center carpet. Bedroom consists wardrobes and drawers and new sheets as well. Also complete kitchen tools and equipment's too, such as a new refrigerator, stove/oven, microwave, cooking pots and pans, dishes and glasses, electric kettle, etc. You can consider moving in with your personal belongings only.

It's located at 1 Scott Circle NorthWest, Washington, DC and my room is on 2nd Floor in the building which there is a walk stair and elevator either the two you can make use. The monthly rent fee is $1,225 which includes utilities and parking, the security deposit is $1,000 and it will be refunded after the termination of the lease if there are no damages in the apartment. Utilities covered are electric, water, gas, cable, telephone, Internet and garbage disposal.

There are no background checks or management processes required to secure the apartment, just the usual data form and a sublease agreement to sign and finalize. And since I have a long-term existing lease in the building, the rents and deposit will be paid to the landlord on a monthly basis. There is no strict policy having pets in the building but I will prefer to have not more than 2 pets in my apartment.

Finally, I'd like if you can share some information about yourself also when you write me in the email. I look forward to your email and any more questions you may have so we can move forward about the lease.

With Regards,

Alex

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#356938 by orghitman Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:41 pm
got the same exact message:

Delivered-To: XXXX
Received: by 10.74.160.46 with SMTP id m46csp1682919ook;
Mon, 26 Feb 2018 12:56:07 -0800 (PST)
X-Received: by 10.31.95.5 with SMTP id t5mr3871599vkb.169.1519678566972;
Mon, 26 Feb 2018 12:56:06 -0800 (PST)
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1519678566; cv=none;
d=google.com; s=arc-20160816;
b=u2Ukuo05m0sFPYnwBO1jVAUY8EyusiwFUvcxRZrChnai6OgrzqLDf6iZS/w24sauEV
32QlEWb2Wdwft7pNG3zpBUHgK8iJGR/6ZRWTk+t7JHH/6nhMx7yWRdHeEUJYoLJzJwTM
u9r+nVcIWhtVCsaYaUSkbL5ji/tifdN3ulhVhe1Oa0Oqb742rg/Jw/4sQpVKjahGt4eN
kMj9A2OnRsqkI0MChzj2aNY86r2UY5O94CcxwABCIcWE+zTe6cwk2yVl6dn/1Wb6jy49
5lcIo17BKxN8z4fAYrWVNu3ilnlo9mJbZZxjLViyWqSQZtSME9Yg78/bRPQyRm0wEVQE
SmFQ==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816;
h=to:subject:message-id:date:from:mime-version:dkim-signature
:arc-authentication-results;
bh=vqYFFMQXI+g28ynmXHua1H/1zmIz7F0CgGTXwVc3xys=;
b=Eg7TdbSRE82oDWFjcaViZvlrZHudVUMH1PqnuRC4V8s2WyjRvbcUoA8Y0zDTkr8UTA
q4Kbt8YCnEQzyNMR4YZyQJtPhpPK59J54g0zoh15XvQYE+NInAyR7G8kLWTSz1JScRHd
DpKYve0qvQs0Vi7ipI+nSIbicmYsZLBdE5NAKxrNbfAbkJV6pOb7zJPS1DTdEJLIUfag
zyE/0Rj4KxkWNYiZE0zNWXeUWHKW3+aL49y2qpnlpBhCVTso+q/h8ZeNmMzK/80DylD9
7TbyQWbIbAEfQngH9hSSNfqfkFzfWakbWH8qT56DgPt3WkaLM45qWcBd6SwajZqy1Fok
/sHg==
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com;
dkim=pass [email protected] header.s=20161025 header.b=ex7cAuTY;
spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 209.85.220.41 as permitted sender) [email protected];
dmarc=pass (p=NONE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=gmail.com
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from mail-sor-f41.google.com (mail-sor-f41.google.com. [209.85.220.41])
by mx.google.com with SMTPS id a10sor3807810vke.242.2018.02.26.12.56.06
for <[email protected]>
(Google Transport Security);
Mon, 26 Feb 2018 12:56:06 -0800 (PST)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 209.85.220.41 as permitted sender) client-ip=209.85.220.41;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
dkim=pass [email protected] header.s=20161025 header.b=ex7cAuTY;
spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 209.85.220.41 as permitted sender) [email protected];
dmarc=pass (p=NONE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=gmail.com
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d=gmail.com; s=20161025;
h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to;
b=ex7cAuTYKwzS/D6W5Gu8ZnX2BRQpQFdinqvqyXn7y0lbmx0uCmRIw4imm4ImUs+XMY
IVbetQYu1SejmoMSra6aaM9/6krwy9kb70I0EH8YM0zijpn5ysJ1aS8QbdHFz70287xi
EiQGEb4EpBjt3d3Hryxv+nxLPANB396k2Psoktj+NLJqwzZPi92zRTPc2chOVnwe/czN
nVfqJlcg0LRXaWnZHr9nkGBEDgyoPnVaF0UzfMRZhfqv+wSqqAQ9wY5x1DY30QGsNjAe
ovSUb0g9mjs7op0cpuoh33xt+Y7+RqoKHWPtQH993qqQsmzwmp2H1gtFyjNNjBRftU1R
eTTQ==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d=1e100.net; s=20161025;
h=x-gm-message-state:mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to;
b=MHbJ0YMAzGPzxQf6uKeXyG+pOMnj0zxNhxw0+t7JuMOXwowGHdkMXlwYbFeBrAC7H4
lTczJ3hp5jZrRWJvtJiiEMNcFP0tAxKR7ySvZinD5D+3BCIfaQm2nI09aKakkliMNzSS
cFUa64ZQ44HIts86alS5k0yMp7xe0JHy2gNessaPDgQDhmnX2EvvJ8A0sN1zt8ABSHF2
rM7F5jvj2nfksow6Y8rruIkMNiBnRi6PG4EHqiWeYAPmyIwm2LSr4FV+aTkoZGK6LHPy
bkkmgluNNlasKC7/hqj/ZdgtVoUS0Uau2jMtSdtMvxtrBBTV/leuw/HD85xkWJBbD1HV
CedQ==
X-Gm-Message-State: APf1xPCLRxK+pZ7O1UvHSVMkOgHeV4Z/GhMyhN0D5CvADOtGrbrWxs7O iT2Sf2AVxcEoexskchMma7Xfb3G8+eWVnHdnNKlfew==
X-Google-Smtp-Source: AG47ELsR6bDpHj5aDvy3umNTrJrgDlbtzG4IFEe1lrCLMylvXoK+7OE24vvUZcRXnyaWnnjHsNJcgjn4D9bNn/gFN9U=
X-Received: by 10.31.89.195 with SMTP id n186mr1301491vkb.67.1519678566472; Mon, 26 Feb 2018 12:56:06 -0800 (PST)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: by 10.103.213.145 with HTTP; Mon, 26 Feb 2018 12:56:06 -0800 (PST)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 15:56:06 -0500
Message-ID: <CAPUKErXi1xCs0PLpmnu19qJNB2YQHRCrPUH65vV-BdYGnmFn5w@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: MY $1225 / 1br - 955ft2 - 1 BEDROOM APARTMENT FULLY FURNISHED
To: XXXXX
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="001a114e1ff220a106056623bdcd"

--001a114e1ff220a106056623bdcd
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

XXX,

Thanks for the email you provided for more information about my sublet
apartment. A little about myself I currently work full time as a Software
Development Engineer at Amazon Robotics here in Washington, DC. I have
decided to take a temporary travel position in our New York office, I=E2=80=
=99ve
got a temporary lease in a new apartment in Brooklyn, New York.

My apartment is a lovely and perfect fit for a learned person to enjoy his
or her life in a very cool atmosphere or environment and It is not a shared
unit. It is a fully furnished one bedroom apartment which includes the
living room appliances and furniture w/pull-over sofa, to TV/cable DVD
player, WiFi, center carpet. Bedroom consists wardrobes and drawers and new
sheets as well. Also complete kitchen tools and equipment's too, such as a
new refrigerator, stove/oven, microwave, cooking pots and pans, dishes and
glasses, electric kettle,washer/dryer etc. You can consider moving in with
your personal belongings only.

It's located at 1 Scott Circle NorthWest, Washington, DC and my room is on
2nd Floor in the building. The monthly rent fee is $1,225 which includes
utilities and parking, the security deposit is $1,000 and it will be
refunded after the termination of the lease if there are no damages in the
apartment. Utilities covered are electric, water, gas, cable, telephone,
Internet and garbage disposal.

There are no background checks or management processes required to secure
the apartment, just the usual data form and a sublease agreement to sign
and finalize. And since I have a long-term existing lease in the building,
the rents and deposit will be paid to the landlord on a monthly basis.
There is no strict policy having pets in the building but I will prefer to
have not more than 2 pets in my apartment.

Finally, I'd like if you can share some information about yourself also
when you write me in the email. I look forward to your email and any more
questions you may have so we can move forward about the lease.

Alex

--001a114e1ff220a106056623bdcd
Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
#367419 by Michelle Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:17 am
Alex Peon <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> >

>>> > Everything is great so far to finalize and seal up today. I have attached above the Approved Sublease Agreement, Kindly review/sign to proceed through finalizing of the sublease.
>>> > Please return the Signed Copy of the Sublease Agreement and also proceed to make the total payment of $2,225 ( first month rent and security deposit) through Walmart information provided by the Landlord below.
>>> >
>>> > Name: COLE SAMUEL
>>> > City: Renton
>>> > State: Washington
>>> > Zip Code: 98055
>>> > Purpose: Alex Apt

>>> >
>>> > I look forward to receiving copies of the signed Sublease Agreement and Payment receipts (if possible you can scan and email both the last page of the Sublease Agreement (Signatory aspect) and Payment Slip/receipt. Let me know how soon you can get payment made and because i have to make arrangement on how the keys will be delivered to you at the apartment complex so you can use your own copy of the sublease agreement to pick the keys up at the complex.

>>> > Alex

#367459 by T31 Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:13 am
Something didn’t sit right and I felt rushed so I woke up in the middle of the night and I’m thankful to find this thread. But here is what I received from the same email.

“Alex Peon” [email protected]

Thanks for the email you provided for more information about my sublet apartment. A little about myself I currently work full time as a Software Development Engineer at Amazon Robotics here in Washington, DC. I have decided to take a temporary travel position in our New York office, I’ve got a temporary lease in a new apartment in Brooklyn, New York.

My apartment is a lovely and perfect fit for a learned person to enjoy his or her life in a very cool atmosphere or environment and It is not a shared unit. It is a fully furnished one bedroom apartment which includes the living room appliances and furniture w/pull-over sofa, to TV/cable DVD player, WiFi, center carpet. Bedroom consists wardrobes and drawers and new sheets as well. Also complete kitchen tools and equipment's too, such as a new refrigerator, stove/oven, microwave, cooking pots and pans, dishes and glasses, electric kettle, washer/dryer etc. You can consider moving in with your personal belongings only.

It's located at 1 Scott Circle NW, Washington, DC and my room is on 2nd Floor in the building. The monthly rent fee is $1,225 which includes utilities and parking, the security deposit is $1,000 and it will be refunded after the termination of the lease if there are no damages in the apartment. Utilities covered are electric, water, gas, cable, telephone, Internet and garbage disposal.

There are no background checks or management processes required to secure the apartment, just the usual data form and a sublease agreement to sign and finalize. And since I have a long-term existing lease in the building, the rents and deposit will be paid to the landlord on a monthly basis. There is no strict policy having pets in the building but I will prefer to have not more than 2 pets in my apartment.

Finally, I'd like if you can share some information about yourself also when you write me in the email. I look forward to your email and any more questions you may have so we can move forward about the lease.

Alex

​Good Morning,

If any issue occurs in the unit kindly give me a call on 646 930 8112. ​I told you earlier I won't be able to walk you round the apartment and the keys will be picked up with the signed approved sublease agreement and the payment slip in the building complex.

Awaiting your swift response soon.

Alex

I had even called my bank and the lady said the account number they gave me is not the real account number but a number you can use to make transfers. Luckily I never pushed send.

“Alex Peon” [email protected]
Please return the Signed Copy of the Sublease Agreement and also proceed to make a bank transfer/direct deposit of the total payment of $2,225 ( first month rent and security deposit) to the banking information provided by the Landlord below no check deposit.

Bank Name: CAPITAL ONE
Account Name: NICOLE WILSON
Account Number: 4691xxxx
Routing Number: 031176110

I look forward to receiving copies of the signed Sublease Agreement and Payment receipts (if possible you can scan and email both the last page of the Sublease Agreement (Signatory aspect) and Payment Slip/receipt. Let me know how soon you can get payment made and because i have to make arrangement on how the keys will be delivered to you at the apartment complex so you can use your own copy of the sublease agreement to pick the keys up at the complex.
#367460 by T31 Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:43 am
Also there is a LinkedIn profile for an Alex Peon. I’m not sure if the scammer is just referring to a real user or if it’s just a fake profile.