Room for Rent and other rental scams
#336169 by Michelle Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:49 am

It's good to hear from you again and i am sorry for not answering quicker. I am fine subletting my place to you. But it will be good if
you can be precise with the dates so that i can sign an initial lease with you.

The apartment is actually vacant as I've already left Toronto for Baltimore for my new work which starts tomorrow. You
know I made mentioned in my previous email that My new contract came as an emergency. So as it stands now i will not be able to arrange a showing to you.

If we must proceed it will have to be via the aid of the pictures I took and I can assure you that you will be meeting my apartment in the
same conditions as they are in the pictures. Kindly find enclosed pictures to give you a complete insight of the place. The apartment is
in a peaceful neighborhood and very good for commuting and very close to stores, malls etc.

The apartment is fully furnished and cable/high speed internet ready and also there is one car parking space that will be made available to
you during your stay in my apartment at no extra cost and utilities are included in the rent. Pets are allowed (Cats & Dogs) and it's totally
free and you won't be sharing it with anybody.

Let me know if we can proceed so I can give you more information on the place and the rental process.

Best Regards,

Thanks for the email. It's good to hear from you back. Sorry for not answering quicker, was busy at work, Looking forward to sealing this process with you ASAP.

My apartment is completely furnished with the living room furniture (just as in the pictures) and a sofa with pull-over. And has all the basic appliances and equipments. The kitchen is equipped with the necessary kitchen ware, cooking wares, pots, pans, etc. There is a refrigerator and a washer and dryer in the apartment also. I actually had to arrange for the washer/dryer by myself since the building offers it's own laundry, but I prefer to do in the apartment (and got the permission to do so). The bedroom has a door and there are extra sets of bedspreads and duvets. The wardrobes and drawers have been emptied already. The apartment consists one bathroom well tidy and comfy too. I arranged 2 fresh sets of towels in the bath just in case too.

The rent covers the most important utilities i.e. electricity, water, gas, telephone, Internet, Tv/cable and garbage disposal. There is also a free single car parking space included, within the building's designated parking area.

My apartment is actually simple and open, in the sense that it is not packed, rather it is quite free to move around and also easy to tidy/clean. The Public transportation is both convenient and plentiful.

The place is currently vacant and I am keen to sign an agreement to have it subleased soon and i'm fine with signing the lease with you for the period you've indicated (with option to extend available).

I would prefer to sign notable agreement with you for the place, highlighting the basics. I will need the first month rent $2000 with the refundable deposit of $2000 making a total of $4000 Paperwork to you to sign after you might have filled the necessary forms.

To proceed I am attaching the rental forms needed to be filled just to have written information of your intent to lease my apartment. I suppose part of the information will also need to be transferred to the contract.

I plan to make the keys available to collect through the building, upon your arrival, so you can just pick up the keys at the building prior to moving-in. I will however need to complete all the documentations/agreement and take payment for the apartment so I can send copies of everything to the building before you can go there to collect the keys. It is important that all the paperwork be sent to the building so they can enter your name into the building system and so you can have access to all of the building facilities.

I have attached additional picture of the washer/dryer, and very muchlook forward to sealing this with you. The apartment is a one bedroom apartment and not a studio. As regards to payment of rent the first deposits can be (or paid directly to my landlord's bank account). Thanks so much for your understanding and efforts to make this work.

I am also available on phone 630-358-9261. Texting will be easiest way to reach me I think, as I might be shifting at the hospital very frequently starting from tomorrow

Hope to read from you soon.

Best regard,

Ann.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement