Room for Rent and other rental scams
#336772 by Lolfisheatpoo Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:28 pm
Scammer is active on apartments.com. I'd be interested to see what other platforms they use. They sent me the email below:

"Hi there,

Thank you for your e-mail inquiry about my apartment.
My name is Julia Ann Stephen. I have been working in United States over the last 7 years as a project manager for ADCO Construction and bought this apartment during my stay there but now I have returned home to Germany so I'm in need of a good and responsible tenant that can move into my apartment and take very good care of property and maintain it in my absence. The apartment is very nice and clean, recently renovated to a very high standard of interior design. It is fully furnished and equipped modernly with all necessary appliances. You have full access to all building amenities and near you have public transportation, coffee's shops and other facilities.
The rent will be $1000 per month with all utilities included (hot/cold water, electricity, internet, cable TV). The security deposit is $1000 and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required). I want to receive the payment monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money. You have to pay one month’s rent in advance plus the security deposit which is held against damages. The time period for the lease is negotiable - what ever suits you well. The property can also be rented unfurnished in which case i will arrange that furniture to be collected and placed in storage. Small pets are allowed. That's all i can say for now until you have a taste of my place.

In the meantime, can you please confirm the following:

· How many people would be living at the property?
· When would you like to move in? (exact date)
· What term/length lease would you like?
· When are your most suitable times/days to view the property?

If further interested, please give me some information about yourself (photos, age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant).
Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you."
Advertisement

#336773 by Bryon Williams Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:40 pm
This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/