Room for Rent and other rental scams
#336905 by Michelle Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:59 am
[email protected]

Hello,

How are you doing today? Thanks for your interest in the apartment. The apartment is available for long and short rentals. The unit is a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom furnished apartment. I am presently working Houston Texas, I relocated to Texas after my wife's death some months ago and my kids are schooling in TX. The apartment is available for the next couple of years as I'm not sure when I'll return back to Canada. So I am looking forward to a person that can take very good care of the unit and I try to get an agent that we can give this documents before we left but couldn't get any because I left in a hurry and will also like to choose my tenant personally, also l don't want anyone to take advantage of the apartment in my absence that is the main reason I took the keys along with me to Texas. I will be sending it directly to you after we might have reached an agreement. The rent is $1000/month and the security deposit is $500. You can go to the address at any-time and see the building from the outside pending the time we will reach a conclusion and you will receive the key.
Address: 7 Carlton Street, Toronto, ON.

Will you be staying in the apartment alone?
The apartment is fully furnished and decorated, would you like to keep the furniture and decorations?
Are you interested in a monthly lease or yearly lease?

So, you can answer the few questions above and get back to me so that I can for forward the short rental application form to you.

Thanks and hope to read from you soon.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement