Room for Rent and other rental scams
#338580 by Md Shahriar Quayum Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:51 am
Hello all,

I had similar issue.
I was looking for an apartment in Düsseldorf, Germany for couple of days. As usual, I sent some messages to the advertised offers in common 'Immo-......' websites.
Suddenly last night I got an email from '[email protected]'. The emails are as follows-

Hello,

I'm in Milan-Italy right now, and I have been busy at work. Anyway, thank you for your interest in renting my apartment.

The price of the monthly rent is 420,00 EUR (the price includes all utilities costs).

I own the apartment and I just got a new contract in Milan-Italy, so I decided to rent it.The apartment is in perfect condition, no need for additional repairs. So, if you are interested in renting my apartment, please email me back for more details.

Best regards,
Marlene

Then I asked her for more details and proceedings and she replied the following-

Hello .............,

The apartment pictures are attached! You can rent the apartment for min. 2 months and max. 10 years but we can renew the contract.

The apartment is fully furnished, but if you want, you can rent it unfurnished. The utilities costs are included (gas / electricity / phone / cable / internet / parking / heating), and its for an indefinite period.

As I told you in my first e-mail, I am with my work right now. Before leaving Germany I had prearranged the deal with AirBnb so my presence isn’t necessary. The keys and all needed papers are in their possession, ready for delivery.

You will have 3 days to inspect the the apartment before rent it.

AirBnb will start the delivery for the keys and the contract to you, but first you must deposit the value of 1 rental months (420 EUR) plus + 1.000 EUR Kauiton total is (1.420 EUR) in their account.

So if you want to make this deal please login to the http://www.AirBnb.com website, and after that please send me the following details:

Full name and address:

Shipping address:

Airbnb:username:

Phone Number:

ID or Passport Copy:

After I’ll receive your details I will forward them to AirBnb and I will proceed the order. AirBnb will contact you with all the details that you need, to complete this deal.

Waiting your email with the requested details.

Best regards,
Marlene

Then in the next mail I sent her the requested details which was really a big mess made by me. I should have thought of it before sharing these info.
Anyway let me share further what happened. The following mail from her was-

Dear ..........,

Let's be clear from the beginning.

The apartment is located on the 1st floor.

No extra money for furniture.

1) When i will start the transaction AirBnb will contact you and send you the invoice where you have to pay them in the next 24 hours into their agent bank account.

2) Your money will stay in safe in their account until you check and inspect the apartment for 3 days.

3) After that you will decide if you rent it or not.

4) AirBnb offer you return policy! If by any reason you do not like the apartment just tell me or to AirBnb, and they will send you back the money!

Once i will get your confirmation i will start the transaction.

Thank you
Marlene

Then I replied the following-

Hello Marlene,

The way you want your apartment to rent, sounds very interesting.

You want the money even before visiting the apartment?!!
No money should be given before the place is visited and the contract is signed.

If you do own the apartment and want to rent it to a new tenant, please make sure you do not give such kind of amazing (!!!) conditions.

I hope this will help you, me and others as well.

Looking for your reply.

Regards.

Though I did not expect a return email from her, but the following came soon-

Hello,

I'm not asked you to pay me anything before you will see the apartment.
Because is not fair to pay something what you not seen.
This money will be transfered in Airbnb bank account and will stay there until you decide if you rent the apartment or not.
This will be a guarantee for me, because I can't send the keys of my apartment to every person how is interested to rent my apartment , without any guarantee Like you can see in the photos , I have in the apartment many valuable things and I can't let in there any person if I don't have a guarantee.
I chose this company for this transaction because this is the way that we can trust each other.
Airbnb offer you return policy! If by any reason you do not like the apartment just tell me or to airbnb, and they will send you back the money!
Think about it and let me know what you decide.

Thank you

Now I really am regretting about the fact that I have shared my personal information, though I did not transfer any money.
I wanted to share this scam story with you so that this can help others. Also I would appreciate if anyone suggests, what can be the consequences of sharing my personal info. How can they harm me?

Wish you a scam-less secured life.

Regards,
Shahriar
Advertisement

#338673 by Tim Atem Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:03 am
They'll just move on to their next victim if you ignore them. There's not much they can do with your information, they just want to steal your money. Thank you for posting.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#339014 by cetino Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:04 am
Hey, I've been looking for a place to rent in Freising (near Munich). Marlene Siermann replied to me as well saying exactly the same things about Milan and work contract. After I got her/his first mail I decided to google her/his name since it was a private provider and not an estate agency. Just to be on the safe side and check. I'm glad I did since I saw your warning. Thank you for posting this. Her next mail was also exactly the same as your's even though I had asked her different questions, my questions were left unreplied. I haven't given her any information about myself and I obviously won't but I'm wondering if it is possible she/he could get caught.