Room for Rent and other rental scams
#339361 by presi Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:21 pm
Hi!

So I've been talking to this "lady" back and forth now for a while, and it is sortof a 50/50 scam/legit deal for me, any input? The following email excerpt is after i asked if it wasn't better if i just sent a proof of income and a plane ticket, instead of doing the moneygram sending thing to prove my intent.

" Hi again,

I will not like to see any reference from anywhere or bank statement. Besides, this can't prove that your money are prepared for the rent of my apartment.

MoneyGram.com is a service known worldwide for sending money to family relatives, or trusted persons ( friends, or people that you personally know ). Their offices are mostly located at the Post offices.

To send you a payment in Munich, a family member ( from your country ) must have the money in cash at an office, fulfill a paper form, and in a few minutes the money transfer will be done, and also can be verified online and tracked on their website for availability
( this way I will be able to verify that the correct amount is deposited and available to you, and you will collect this payment only after we sign the rental contract at the notary's office and give you the keys).

After we meet and inspect the apartment (to prove that it's exactly as described), then we will go together to the notary's office to read & sign the rental contract, give you the keys, and afterwards we will go to a Money Gram office to collect the money.

The payment fees are around 70 €.

As previously mentioned, I will have to support all my trip expenses including the round-trip flight tickets (approx. 200 €), and I am also going to pay the notary's fees (100 €).

Due to my bad experiences in the past, I can't organize my trip and support all the expenses without a guarantee. I've explained the situation in my previous messages.

Since I'm a private person, we will only use a legitimate notary's office ( for proper verification of the apartment's ownership, and to read & sign the rental contract ).

A real-estate agency would charge you so much more ( their commission is: one month's rent, and they also require SCHUFA, job contract and additional German documents ).

I assure you that my apartment is in very good condition ( no smoking ), so you won't find any bad smells or any other inconveniences. It's recently refurbished, the furniture is in mint condition, and at your disposal.

For any issues you may have ( for ex. a broken pipe, etc. ) the building manager will help with everything that might arise regarding the flat ( that's why I pay for community fees every year ).

I think my asking price and the rental terms are fair from my point of view, considering that I own a high valued property there, so I want a serious and reliable person to rent my flat and take good care of it and it's furniture.

So if you are interested in the flat's address, if it's convenient for you, then you can reserve the flat and we can meet.

Otherwise, I suggest you visit a real-estate agency.

Please let me know if you agree with my proposal, because I have other potential tenants interested and I need your answer before I respond to my messages.

Sincerely,
Carolyn "
Advertisement

#339362 by Bryon Williams Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:25 pm
What email address is she using?

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#339364 by Bryon Williams Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:44 pm
It is a scam. The scammer can still pick up the money even if you send it to yourself, friend or relative.

Make sure you can physically go inside any rental and meet the landlord face to face prior to renting.

[email protected]

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/