Room for Rent and other rental scams
#339528 by Syed_Syd Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:50 pm
I was contacted through SMS by LIEN HUANG asking me to communicate through email. Same sh!t - on cruise, limited internet, 3 months rent in advance, asking me to make a paypal account - but occupation is DIFFERENT now - Northern Marine Management in Singapore, and the email was [email protected]

I got a bit suspicious because I've been taught - If it's too good to be true, it is too good to be true!
So I asked for Passport and Australian Visa - BOTH WERE TAMPERED

Visa:
1. Australia stopped issuing Visa Stamps on passports but this one sent me a visa stamp
2. Name in the visa barcode at the bottom is different than the one on passport information page
3. Visa allowed entry only before March 2016

Passport:
1. Name was tampered with
2. Somebody did a horrendous job in changing the ISSUE and EXPIRY dates
3. Again, in the barcode line at the bottom, tampering!

That forced me to google if this was a scam and brought me to this page!
Thanks for all the great work guys, you're legends and help us all living in a better world!

HERE ARE THE EMAILS EXCHANGED WITH THE SCAMMER:
(While copying the emails I've realized that the scammer never referred to me by my name - so it's just a copy-paste template that they use on everyone)

Thanks for your response. My name is Lien Huang, I am 30 years old non smoker lady coming to Australia from Singapore. I am outgoing and friendly I takes pride of my home, I am clean/tidy and trustworthy person. I work with Northern Marine Management in Singapore but got transfer to Australia, am at sea at the moment and i have limited time to surf the internet and also phone calls is also strictly limited due to nature of my work. I will like to know the total cost covering my first three months rent together with bond. I will also like you to get back to me with the full house address so that i can forward it to my mover company in other to calculate the total cost of shipping my little stuffs to Australia. If you have more pictures of the room i will love to have it. I will be looking forward to read back from you ASAP.. God Bless.

Cheers

Many thanks for getting back to me again. I am very social person that respect humanity and this make it so easy for me to get along with whoever that comes my way in life. I will love to rent the room. I am arriving on 24th September and stay more than a year in Australia so i will be paying for the first 3 month rent and bond. I will be transferring the rent to you through PayPal and if you do not have one, kindly set up an account with them in less than 5 minutes on http://www.paypal.com. I will like to pay in advance through PayPal and my reason is that, i will be presenting the proof of my rent payment to my employer and also to the immigration at the port of entry to Australia for my reservation. I will be signing all the lease and document on my arrival day and I have also attach my Picture to this email. I will be so happy to secure the room as soon as you get back to me with the PayPal details.

Awaiting your reply as soon as possible.

Cheers

Hello,

I am okay with the condition of the house and the available date is fine. I will love to secure the room as soon as you get back to me with your paypal details. I have my passport page and visa page attached to this email. I did not have account with Facebook, I deactivate it.

Kindly get back to me as soon as possible because I have limited time online.

Regards
Advertisement