Room for Rent and other rental scams
#344989 by Bryon Williams Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:35 pm
Subject: Re: $870CAD Amazing One Bedroom in North York
To: odell <[email protected]>

Hello,

The apartment at 88 Sheppard Ave E, North York, ON M2N 3A3 is still available.
Everything is just like in the pictures fully equipped with all the
appliances you need, very clean and well kept. The apartment can be
rented furnished or if you want you can use your furniture and deposit
mine in the storage unit. I work as civil engineer and the company I
work for has developed projects all around the world. They moved me to
the United Kingdom department because they have a new project there.
The apartment is vacant so you can move-in anytime you want.

The rent of 870$/month is for the whole apartment and includes all the
utilities: heat, water, electricity, parking, laundry in-suite, washer
and dryer also included, cable and internet. You will have full access
to all building amenities. Just in case repairs are needed there I
will cover the costs no worries. The price I'm asking is below the
market because I want to find a responsible tenant to take good care
of the place.

I would like to know how many people will live in the apartment and
also which rental contract do you prefer to start with - 6 months or 1
year with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired to my
Bank Account (TD Bank) or we can setup a payment method that is
suitable for both of us.

I'm the owner of the apartment, it's already paid in full and no
mortgage on it. Schools and groceries near-by. You have everything you
need near-by because it's one of the best neighborhood. Pets are
allowed. You'll love it for sure!

I need to know if you are really interested in the place so we can
discuss further.

Thank you and look forward hearing from you!
David

PS: I attached you all the pictures that I have with the apartment (as
you can see everything is in absolutely perfect condition).

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#345079 by Bryon Williams Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:45 pm
David Geo <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello,

The apartment at 783 Bathurst St, Toronto, ON M5S 1Z5, Canada is
still available.
Everything is just like in the pictures fully equipped with all the
appliances you need, very clean and well kept. The apartment can be
rented furnished or if you want you can use your furniture and deposit
mine in the storage unit. I work as civil engineer and the company I
work for has developed projects all around the world. They moved me to
the United Kingdom department because they have a new project there.
The apartment is vacant so you can move-in anytime you want.

The rent of 1100$/month is for the whole apartment and includes all the
utilities: heat, water, electricity, parking, laundry in-suite, washer
and dryer also included, cable and internet. You will have full access
to all building amenities. Just in case repairs are needed there I
will cover the costs no worries. The price I'm asking is below the
market because I want to find a responsible tenant to take good care
of the place.

I would like to know how many people will live in the apartment and
also which rental contract do you prefer to start with - 6 months or 1
year with option of renewal. The monthly payments can be wired to my
Bank Account (TD Bank) or we can setup a payment method that is
suitable for both of us.

I'm the owner of the apartment, it's already paid in full and no
mortgage on it. Schools and groceries near-by. You have everything you
need near-by because it's one of the best neighborhood. Pets are
allowed. You'll love it for sure!

I need to know if you are really interested in the place so we can
discuss further.

Thank you and look forward hearing from you!
David

PS: I attached you all the pictures that I have with the apartment (as
you can see everything is in absolutely perfect condition).

Subject: Re: $1100CAD Lovely Two Bedroom in Bathurst Street

Hello xxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Like I said in my previous email, the company I work for moved me to United Kingdom, and unfortunately there is a problem showing you the apartment, because I already left Canada. The reason I haven't managed to rent the apartment before I had to leave for United Kingdom is that someone said that will rent the apartment and haven't managed to keep the promise. I waited for him, but unfortunately he didn't managed to get the money on time, so the transaction failed and I had to leave before managing to rent it. Obviously this brought me huge inconvenience. So I can tell that I have a bitter experience making reservation, it's the first time I'm renting an apartment so I prefer using an worldwide property management company.

The company I am talking about is called Airbnb (www.airbnb.com) their website is main focused on short term rentals, but they also have an new service for long term rentals. I used Airbnb (for long term rentals) last month when I rented my apartment in London, United Kingdom, and I can tell you that it was an great experience and the only way I will proceed renting my apartment is by using them.

We use this company to protect the both of us. They will provide assistance in handling the payment and delivery of the rental package (keys and paperwork).

Using AirBnb involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and AirBnb as a responsible third party authorized to handle this transaction. AirBnb works the same way as the escrow account on which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment, except that instead of a bank, we use AirBnb. Of course, nobody can take that money until you will sign the lease agreement. With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive the payment.

Like I said before I used them to rent my apartment in London and everything was perfect they are really professional and they have great services.

My phone number is +44 1923 381 017. You can call me or e-mail anytime you wish and I will respond ASAP.

Let me know if you are interested so I can provide with all the steps of this transaction. You need to know everything about this process before we get this started.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!
David

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#345370 by Bryon Williams Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:37 pm
Subject: TRANSACTION NUMBER - 00E793317C4 / INVOICE & RENTAL AGREEMENT ATTACHED
Cc: [email protected]

Dear xxxxxx,

The package is now in our custody and it is ready to be sent to your address. We have checked the package, Mr. David George Odell, has sent you 2 keys from the outside door of the building, 3 keys from the apartment door, 1 key from storage unit, key-card access for parking, copies from the apartment documents and the rental contract. We checked all the apartment papers and rental contract with our Real Estate Professional Department. After the payment is confirmed to our company the transaction starts and you will receive the package in 2-3 days. After the inspection period you must give us the final answer. If you don`t want to rent the apartment you will receive a full refund and the package is sent back to the sender.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Transaction for: Apartment keys and rental contract verified signed by the Sender.
Owner of the apartment located in: 783 Bathurst St, Toronto, ON M5S 1Z5, Canada.
Transaction Amount: 1300.00$ CAD;

We had attached the INVOICE & RENTAL AGREEMENT, please download and read them carefully, you will find there, all information regarding this transaction.

=====================
PAYMENT INFORMATION
=====================

You must pay to our company the amount of: 1300.00$ CAD using MoneyGram International (http://www.moneygram.com) to our payments representative:
********************************************************************************************
FIRST NAME: ROBERT
LAST NAME: TEUNISSEN
ADDRESS: 100 NEW BRIDGE STREET
CITY: LONDON
ZIP CODE: EB4V 7JA
********************************************************************************************

IMPORTANT MONEYGRAM TIPS:

1. Please note that there will be an MoneyGram transfer fee for making the deposit, you DON'T NEED to pay any extra fee, so for example if the MoneYGram fee will be $30CAD, you need to make an deposit of $1270CAD + $30CAD (fee) = $1300CAD (total deposit).
2. The deposit needs to be made at an MoneyGram office, with CASH OR DEBIT CARD (this are the 2 payment methods accepted).
3. You will need to have your ID with you when sending the deposit.
4. The deposit in $CAD$ will automatically be converted to British Pounds, don't worry, this is normal for all transactions.
5. You will need to select PICK UP BY LOCATION option, in order to make the deposit to our agent names.
6. If the clerk asks the reason for sending the money, to avoid any complications, you should tell he/she that you are sending the money to an friend or relative for personal reasons. Because MoneyGram have much bigger fees for business transaction and the MoneyGram fee will be over $100CAD.

*** In order to make the deposit to our agent you need to visit an MoneyGram office (you can find them in any Canada Post), or you can just use their website http://www.moneygram.com to find an location near your address. Please note that you cannot use their website to make the deposit, you need to visit an actual office.

The next step of the transaction is to make the deposit to our company's payments representative agent.

After the payment is sent please e-mail us an copy of the MoneyGram receipt so we can process everything and ship the rental package.

If you need help or more information regarding your transaction please Click for Live Support:

Thank you,

If you are reading this because you have received a similar fake invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

#346169 by Bryon Williams Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:06 pm
Subject: TRANSACTION NUMBER - 00E793317C4 / INVOICE & RENTAL AGREEMENT ATTACHED
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: [email protected]

Dear xxxxxxxx,

The package is now in our custody and it is ready to be sent to your address. We have checked the package, Mr. David George Odell, has sent you 2 keys from the outside door of the building, 3 keys from the apartment door, 1 key from storage unit, key-card access for parking, copies from the apartment documents and the rental contract. We checked all the apartment papers and rental contract with our Real Estate Professional Department. After the payment is confirmed to our company the transaction starts and you will receive the package in 2-3 days. After the inspection period you must give us the final answer. If you don`t want to rent the apartment you will receive a full refund and the package is sent back to the sender.

Transaction for: Apartment keys and rental contract verified signed by the Sender.
Owner of the apartment located in: 88 Sheppard Ave E, North York, ON M2N 3A3, Canada.
Transaction Amount: 1300.00$ CAD;

We had attached the INVOICE & RENTAL AGREEMENT, please download and read them carefully, you will find there, all information regarding this transaction.

=====================
PAYMENT INFORMATION
=====================

You must pay to our company the amount of: 1300.00$ CAD using MoneyGram International (www.moneygram.com) to our payments representative:
FIRST NAME: CHARLES
LAST NAME: BERKI
ADDRESS: 100 NEW BRIDGE STREET
CITY: LONDON
ZIP CODE: EB4V 7JA

IMPORTANT MONEYGRAM TIPS:

1. Please note that there will be an MoneyGram transfer fee for making the deposit, you DON'T NEED to pay any extra fee, so for example if the MoneYGram fee will be $30CAD, you need to make an deposit of $1270CAD + $30CAD (fee) = $1300CAD (total deposit).
2. The deposit needs to be made at an MoneyGram office, with CASH OR DEBIT CARD (this are the 2 payment methods accepted).
3. You will need to have your ID with you when sending the deposit.
4. The deposit in $CAD$ will automatically be converted to British Pounds, don't worry, this is normal for all transactions.
5. You will need to select PICK UP BY LOCATION option, in order to make the deposit to our agent names.
6. If the clerk asks the reason for sending the money, to avoid any complications, you should tell he/she that you are sending the money to an friend or relative for personal reasons. Because MoneyGram have much bigger fees for business transaction and the MoneyGram fee will be over $100CAD.

*** In order to make the deposit to our agent you need to visit an MoneyGram office (you can find them in any Canada Post), or you can just use their website www.moneygram.com to find an location near your address. Please note that you cannot use their website to make the deposit, you need to visit an actual office.

The next step of the transaction is to make the deposit to our company's payments representative agent.

After the payment is sent please e-mail us an copy of the MoneyGram receipt so we can process everything and ship the rental package.

If you need help or more information regarding your transaction please Click for Live Support:

If you are reading this because you have received a similar fake invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.