Room for Rent and other rental scams
#345198 by Bryon Williams Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:31 pm
De : Wim malcorps < [email protected] >
Objet : Apartment for rent in Sint-Gillis , 66 m² with 1 bedroom

Hi,
My name is Wim and i received an email of interest in renting my apartment. The apartment is available, quiet, has all facilities and utilities: TV, parking, laundry, air conditioning, high speed internet, pets are allowed. The monthly rent is 460 €, also important is that the additional costs (water, electricity, internet, digital television) are included in the price. I worked in Belgium for 7 years and I bought the apartment with my family to stay but now I am back in Italy-Roma and I will not stay there so this is the reason I rent it a longer period of time. For what period do you need? I would like more information about you if you do not mind. Thank you for your interest and look forward to a future cooperation and friendship. Speaking English is much easier for me.

Kind regards,
Wim

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#345206 by Bryon Williams Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:22 pm
Subject: Re: Apartment for rent in Etterbeek , 72 m² with 1 bedroom

Hi,

Like I informed you before, the apartment is currently free and can be rented for a short or long term. It's a stylish furnished apartment, very spacious, bright and clean so I truly hope you'll enjoy your stay. The rent price will be 470 Eur with all the bills included and the guarantee deposit is 1000 Eur (that you'll get back when you move out). Now I'm living in Italy-Roma, but this will not influence at all the rental as I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see it if you like it. You will have 2 days available to inspect the the apartment before rent it. The delivery of the keys and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made through Airbnb.com to make sure that we can trust each other. If you want to know more about the rental process please get back to me and I will send you the step by step procedure. A quick response would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Wim

Subject: Re: Apartment for rent in Etterbeek , 72 m² with 1 bedroom

Hi again,

I will explain you step by step of how airbnb works if you want to rent my apartment:
To start the process I will need is your full name, delivery address and a phone number. After I will make the formalities, airbnb will contact you with further information regarding the rental and the invoice to make the payment of the first month rent (470€ ) + (1000€) the security deposit, total is (1,470€). As soon as the payment is confirmed, the keys will be sent to you for the inspection period of 2 days, and if you like the apartment, all you have to do is to sign the contract so that airbnb will be able to pay me. Further rents will be paid directly to my bank account. In case that you refuse to rent the apartment by any reason, Airbnb will refund your money and you will give the keys back to the agent, but i'm pretty sure that you'll be very happy with your stay. So, if you agree to start the transaction, please send me the requested details and a copy of your Identity Card, passport or driving license by email (scan or photo) also a picture with you.

A quick response would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#345353 by Bryon Williams Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:37 am
malcorps [mailto: [email protected] ]

Subject: Apartment for rent in Leuven , 58 m² with 2 bedrooms

Hi,
My name is Wim and i received an email of interest in renting my apartment. The apartment is available, quiet, has all facilities and utilities: TV, parking, laundry, air conditioning, high speed internet, pets are allowed. The monthly rent is 400 €, also important is that the additional costs (water, electricity, internet, digital television) are included in the price. I worked in Belgium for 7 years and I bought the apartment with my family to stay but now I am back in Italy-Roma and I will not stay there so this is the reason I rent it a longer period of time. For what period do you need? I would like more information about you if you do not mind. Thank you for your interest and look forward to a future cooperation and friendship. Speaking English is much easier for me.

Kind regards,
Wim

Van: Wim malcorps < [email protected] >
Onderwerp: Re: FW: Apartment for rent in Leuven , 58 m² with 2 bedrooms

Hi,

Like I informed you before, the apartment is currently free and can be rented for a short or long term. It's a stylish furnished apartment, very spacious, bright and clean so I truly hope you'll enjoy your stay. The rent price will be 400 Eur with all the bills included and the guarantee deposit is 1000 Eur (that you'll get back when you move out). Now I'm living in Italy-Roma, but this will not influence at all the rental as I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see it if you like it. You will have 2 days available to inspect the the apartment before rent it. The delivery of the keys and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made through Airbnb.com to make sure that we can trust each other. If you want to know more about the rental process please get back to me and I will send you the step by step procedure. A quick response would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Wim

Subject: Re: Apartment for rent in Leuven , 58 m² with 2 bedrooms

Hi again,

I will explain you step by step of how airbnb works if you want to rent my apartment:
To start the process I will need is your full name, delivery address and a phone number. After I will make the formalities, airbnb will contact you with further information regarding the rental and the invoice to make the payment of the first month rent (400€ ) + (1000€) the security deposit, total is (1,400€). As soon as the payment is confirmed, the keys will be sent to you for the inspection period of 2 days, and if you like the apartment, all you have to do is to sign the contract so that airbnb will be able to pay me. Further rents will be paid directly to my bank account. In case that you refuse to rent the apartment by any reason, Airbnb will refund your money and you will give the keys back to the agent, but i'm pretty sure that you'll be very happy with your stay. So, if you agree to start the transaction, please send me the requested details and a copy of your Identity Card, passport or driving license by email (scan or photo) also a picture with you.

A quick response would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.