Room for Rent and other rental scams
#345380 by SamMac Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:40 pm
Claims to be a 27 yrs old US chef on a cruise boat, confirms she wants to rent the room then asks for PayPal or bank account info. Says is wanting to send over her stuff from China to Australia but didn’t bring onboard her debit credit card so asks if she could send me the room deposit plus money for me to pay the Removalist via western union.
The written English was pretty good and sophisticated but on really close inspection not from a native English speaker, and decided it was BS. Search and found same scams from 2 years ago using the same name and same scam (thanks scamwarners) and reported it to ACC scamwatch list. Hope that ship gets its final sail soon , needs to be kicked to the curb fast! ⛹️‍♀️
Advertisement

#345381 by Bryon Williams Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:44 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Please post the emails sent to you minus your personal information.

Also any phone numbers used.

Other may search for this and find your warning.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#345957 by SamMac Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:39 pm
Emails from 15/11/17
Miller Catherine Edina < [email protected] >
Thanks for responding so quickly,my name is Catherine.I am an American citizen and 27 years old non smoker lady coming to Australia. I work as a chef on cruise ship in China at the moment and i have limited time to surf the internet and also phone calls is also strictly limited due to nature of my work.I will like you to make the arrangement for the total cost covering my first three months rent together with bond. I will also like you to get back to me with your home address for me to forward it to my mover to calculate the total cost of moving my stuffs from China to Australia.I will be waiting to read back from you.

Regards,
Catherine

Everything is fine with me. I 'm a very social person that respect humanity and this make it so easy for me to get along with whomever that comes my way in life. I do have a working visa and I will be arriving on 20th of November from China and i will be staying for more than a year in Australia working as a chef too.

I will be transferring the rent to you through PayPal and if you do not have one, kindly set up an account with them in less than 5 minutes at http://www.paypal.com.au. Alternatively i can as well transfer the funds into your bank account via my PayPal. If that is fine with you, please do get back to me with your name on the account, Bsb and your account number so that i can transfer the funds asap. I will be so happy to secure the room as soon as you get back to me with the PayPal email address or your bank details. I am paying the rent fee in advance because i will be presenting the proof of my rent payment to my employer and also to the immigration at the port of entry to Australia. Hope to read back from you soon.

Regards,
Catherine

Thanks so much , I will transfer the fund into your account soon. Please am trying to sort out with the moving agent though am having little problem with them now but hope to sort it out soon. i will email you when am done with the payment.

Regards,
Catherine.

I was just about to make the payment now but I have a little problem with the moving agent, the moving agent said i will need to pay for the moving fees before they can schedule moving date,they charged $450aud for moving all my stuffs from China to Australia,all my stuffs has been in storage with the movers, but the problem is they only accept western union money transfer as form of payment .

I have tried to see if I could get the money sent to them through western union's website but unfortunately I would be needing to use a credit or debit card which I didn't bring aboard. Will it be Ok with you if I add the $450aud to the amount I am transferring? and as soon as the money goes through you can help me make the western union transfer of the moving fees through western union money transfer? You are not obliged to help me, but i will indeed appreciate your help as I am a little incapacitated here.

Regards,
Catherine

Our reply:
Hi Catherine we are not comfortable being involved with western union or your financials, we are currently negotiating with several locals for the remaining rooms, so we will likely have no vacancy. We wish you well in your search.

Kind regards
#349606 by varundhawan2222 Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:03 am
Same scammer, same e-mail. Thanks to scam warners. I requested for her passport and I have attached what I've got.
Surname: Miller
First Name: Catherine Edina
DOB: 03 Sep 1988 or (89) not clear
Passport issuing authority: Texas,
United States
Date of Passport expiry: 28th June 2023
Beware: Now she is using the following email id [email protected]
#365184 by dscorpion06 Mon May 21, 2018 7:01 am
I'm Catherine, Is your room advert still available for rent? please get back to me on([email protected]) for easier contact.

We spoke through email. I thought it's legit but as I search her full name I found out that she is a rental scammer.

Be warn!
#369315 by kiterida Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:13 am
I received an sms only a few minutes after advertising a room for rent

I'm Catherine, Is your room advert still available for rent? please get back to me on([email protected]) for easier contact

Before I replied to her I searched the email address and found this post, so thanks for the warning.