Room for Rent and other rental scams
#346232 by Michelle Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:01 am
Von: <[email protected]>

I want you to know that there will be other flat mate in the apartment, I intend to rent out just two of the three rooms in the apartment, so it will be you and other international students living in the flat while I am away on official assignment, I hardly spend a week in the flat on monthly basis, because I am usually busy traveling for work and the nature of my job entails that I travel a lot.

In order to proceed with the rentals procedures, our family lawyer will have to draw up an Agreement, which will be signed by the landlord and the tenant and the main reason for this document to be prepared is for the both parties to be legally secured.

The document will be sent to you via e-mail so as for you to read through and understand its contents.

More so, if you eventually agree with the terms of the contract, you will have to proceed with the payment to our bank account and get back to me with the receipt of payment from your bank for reference purpose and I hope you understand what I am saying here? The reason why you will have to send me the receipt of the payment from your bank is for me to be able to send it to my late father's lawyer who has been working with him for the past 14 years and who has also been working for me since my father died 18 months ago.

Here are the required details for the preparation of the tenancy Agreement Form:

1. A scanned copy of your ID

2. Your moving-in and moving-out date.

3. Your current address

Also, I will in return send you a scanned copy of my ID also so that you can be able to see for yourself that you are dealing with a legit and serious minded person.

I will await to be able to have the required details so that our family lawyer can be able to prepare the contract

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement