Room for Rent and other rental scams
#347208 by Michelle Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:22 pm
Marianne Lawrence <[email protected]> wrote:

Please find photos attached and unit briefing below;

Apartment Location: 1211 13th St NW, Washington, DC 20005.

Unit Details: This spacious one bedroom, one bathroom unit lets in plenty of light with a large bay window in the living room. The kitchen features stainless steel appliances, a dishwasher and garbage disposal. Hardwood floors throughout and upgraded fixtures make this apartment a lovely home. In-unit washer/dryer and one secure underground parking spot included! Located just one block from Logan Circle and around the corner from the shops/restaurants/bars of the 14th Street Corridor! The Whole Foods, U Street Corridor and Downtown DC are very close as well. Near multiple bus lines and Metro. Pet Friendly, 698 square-ft of living space.

Monthly Rent: Monthly rent is $1500 with a refundable security deposit of $1500 and rent includes all of the utilities, heat, hot water, electricity, AC, sewage, garbage, parking and the use of all of the facilities in the building.

Lease Term: Lease is flexible, however, 12 months lease length attracts 15% discount of the total rent if the first 2 months rent and deposit are paid upfront or in advance.

Your Intentions: How long do you want to lease the units and when exactly are you looking to move in?

Sincerely,
Marianne Lawrence.

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, unit comes fully furnished (move-in ready) but furniture can be fully/partially removed upon your request (rent price remains the same either way). The unit will be available for viewing and move-in any day from Dec 19th after the current lease expires and unit fully professionally cleaned.

Main time, kindly provide answers to the questions for our prospective tenant screening survey.

1. Full Name:
2. Current location:
3. Occupation:
4. Age:
5. Intended Length of lease:
6. Intended Move in Date(exact):
7. Are you Cosigning the lease :
8. Do you want the unit fully furnished or furniture removed:
9. Have you ever been charged/Arrested:
10. How long have you stayed in your current location and why are you moving:
11. What is your previous history with your landlord? Can he vouch for you?;
12. Please share your credit score if available; it will be an added advantage.

Our team will do other necessary background checks and I will get back to you if we find your response fit for this unit.

Best,
Marianne.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement