Room for Rent and other rental scams
#348322 by Michelle Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:50 am

Hello,

My name is JOHANNA HELENA KINDAHL, I have 48 years old ! I bought this flat when I worked there as part of a 17 year contract as a Managing Director, thinking it would be a better investment than taking in rent !

The rent is 700 euro per month plus 700 euro refundable deposit ( the deposit is refundable at the end of the rental period), the consumption charges are also included in the rent like water, electricity, heating/AC, internet, cable TV, wi-fi one parking space and maintenance .

Now I have turn back to my home land (Lund - Sweden), because I have opened a bussines here and also because of the age that I have thinking it is the time to come back.

The apartment is unoccupied since I no longer live there. The price will not increase during the period that you will stay there.

You can rent my apartment for an indefinite period, but for a minimum period of two months contract !!!

I would also like to know how many people will desire to live in the apartment and what it is the period you are interested to stay there !

I prefer to rent my apartment to a nice and responsible person, so I would like to know more details about yourself :

How old are you, if you are married, if you have a pets, if you have a car, occupation etc.. ???

Since I am Sweden I will also propose a safe way for the two of us to complete the paperwork for rental .

I have a contract with a rental agency well known worldwide called Airbnb (https://airbnb.com), which will assist in the management of payment and delivery of the rental package. With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before I receive payment.

They are very professional and have very good reputation in these rental services, I have also used their service in past for holiday and short term rental. Let me know if you are interested, so I can provide all the steps of this transaction.

Please reply anytime , I am waiting for your answer !

Regards

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement