Room for Rent and other rental scams
#352469 by Michelle Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:22 am

Hello,

First of all thank you for your interest in my apartment in Herrengasse 17 3011 Bern, Switzerland, 1 room-72 m²
I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Switzerland, but now she is back home, so I rent the place for an unlimited time.
Before we go further, I would like to know a little about you, how many people you want to live in the apartment, when you move in and how long.
The apartment is exactly as in the pictures, furnished and renovated. The additional costs (cold / warm water, electricity, wireless broadband internet, digital TV, dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are included in the rent, you have a parking space.
The rent is CHF 800 / month. The deposit is CHF 1000 and you will get it back if you decide to leave the apartment (please inform me at least 30 days before your departure so that I can find a new tenant).
As for me, you can be sure that I will never ask you to leave the flat. My daughter is building her life here, and I'm too old to move to Switzerland, so we're not going to bother you in any way.
You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you have access to a very large and well-ventilated basement where you can store my furniture.
Now a little bit about myself, so we can get to know each other better. My name is Ina Marero and I'm 56 years old. I work for the Spanish government (Madrid Ministry of the Interior in Madrid) and plan to retire in the next 2 years.
I have a lovely husband, Armando Marero and a 26 year old daughter, Sofia. I am very proud that I will become a grandmother soon :). Another member of our family is an 8 year old Labrador whom we all love, so I have no problem keeping pets.
The only inconvenience is that my job does not allow me to leave Madrid whenever I want, so I hope you are serious, because I have to fly to you to make all the necessary arrangements.
Thanks, let me know if you are interested so that I can explain the next steps to you.

All the best from Spain!
Ina Marero

Thank you very much for your response ! You seem like a very nice person, and I would be more than happy to have you as my tenant ! :)

As per our family lawyer advice, and since this would be our first transaction, I decided to use an authorized third party to intermediate our first deal, so I listed
my apartment on Airbnb - the biggest and the most secure rental company in the world at this moment - I am sure you heard about it or used it at least one time in the
past.

For the next step, I will provide you the link of my listing on Airbnb. You will have to make the booking for one month only. Then Airbnb will send you the invoice and
the payment instructions for 1 month + the security deposit (CHF 800 + CHF 1000 = CHF 1.800) . The moment I receive the confirmation from Airbnb that you booked the
apartment, I will reserve the first flight to Switzerland and meet with you, handle you the keys and everything you need.

I can come and meet you this week also.

At this point, there are 2 options:

1) If you like the apartment, and decide to rent it for long term, we can make the rental contract (which, by the way, is fully flexible, in order to suit both of our
needs) for any period you desire, and set up all the terms - I am a resonable person, no need to worry about anything :)
2) If, after the inspection of the apartment, you decide that you don't want to rent it (for any reason whatsoever), you can inform Airbnb that the apartment is not as
described, and they will refund your money the same day. (I am more than certain that you will fall in love with the place, anyway :) )

As you probably already know, I can't have access to the funds without your authorization, so you are 100% protected.

So basically, you have nothing to loose, and I also have the certitude that you are indeed interested in renting it. I would also like to inform you that a previous
"tenant" made me fly to Switzerland for nothing, and decided not to answer his cellphone when I arrived ...
As I explained you in my first email, my time is very limited, and I can not afford another waste of time like that, so I hope it won't happen the same with you ...

Thanks in advance for having the time to read my email, and please inform me if I can provide you the link with my Airbnb listing, also please CONFIRM from which date
you will make the booking, to update my listing calendar.

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Advertisement