Room for Rent and other rental scams
#354587 by Dylan Hundersmarck Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:04 am
Dear reader,

I was looking for an apartment on the famous Markplaats.nl, Finally, I had found a beautiful apartment for a price of 530 EURO.

The description includes the mail address of the advertiser. So I have sent her a default e-mail (I am very interested........). I received a reply that she is coming from Germany and she can't speak Dutch.

Her story was that her son lived in Netherland (in that apartment) and turned back to Germany, the apartment is her private ownership.
Unfortunately, she lives in Germany so 'she' wasn't able to show the apartment.

But that wasn't an issue, she said we can do it using Airbnb... Like everybody knows is Airbnb a very big and trusted company. So I agreed with that, on the same day she goes to the Airbnb company to create a contract.
After she comes from the Airbnb sent has sent me an e-mail that I should receive a mail from Airbnb with the contract and that there was a possibility that it arrives in my SPAM folder!!

See below a short resume of the contract.

(((Contract; You need to pay the 530 EURO and you'll be contacted by Airbnb to visit the apartment. The 530 EURO will stay by Airbnb, ones I have decided to take the apartment then will the payment go to the owner. If I cancel it, I will receive my money back. "That is from the first look not really bad")))

I have an account by Airbnb and in the mail that I received were no links to take the payment online also the payment needs to be done using Wire Transfer!!!

I opened a new webpage and logged in by the Official Airbnb to look if there is any message in my inbox "No messages".

The Airbnb mail was sent from a mail address called [email protected]!!! Also, the Official Airbnb company has confirmed that this was not sent through the Official Airbnb.

I hope that you have read this before you've taken the payment.-

Regards,
Advertisement