Room for Rent and other rental scams
#360283 by Bryon Williams Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:30 pm
[email protected] wrote ----

Hello xxx,
I've received your inquiry about my apartment for rent that I have on Fayetteville St, Raleigh.
First of all, Sorry for the late reply! My name is Alexander Thompson and I own the property, not subletting or something like that.
This apartment comes fully furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Two garaged parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion this is the best area to live in, a simply great and safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be $550.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term rent (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the apartment and now I had the entire property completely refurbished, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own home and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
Being offshore and with so limited options I must use HomeAway for the rental process. Here is a brief description of how it works:
The process is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my property to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well.
Please reply if you want to know more about the rental process and I will send you the step by step procedure.
Find attached more photos and let me know if you like the apartment.

Best Regards,
IADC Certified Engineer - Alexander Thompson
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (916) 680-8548

Subject : Re: Re:[Info] Re: Apartment for rent on 400 Fayetteville St, Raleigh, NC 27601

Hello again,
Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, HomeAway will handle the rental process on my behalf due to my offshore job.
The first step (Starting the process):
I will have to contact the HomeAway agency and provide them all the necessary information so they can start the rental process. That being said I will need your full name, the rental period with exact move-in date, how many people will live there, your email, your phone number and a copy of your ID or Passport if possible.
Step two (Reservation):
HomeAway will require from you a security deposit of $800 to confirm reservation (which is fully refundable in case you don't like the apartment). Once you confirm reservation I will immediately book my next flight and organize the walk-through. If you are in a hurry to move in I could send you the keys by FedEx at your current address. It goes without saying that I will not book a flight or send any keys before you pay the security deposit to HomeAway and confirm the reservation.
The $800 security deposit will play as holding fee as well and will be refunded immediately with no questions asked if you don't like the place or once the contract will end if you decide to rent. ( But only if the apartment is not vandalized or something). A 30 days advance notice is required in case you need to leave early.
If you are satisfied with the apartment all you have to do is to provide a valid ID, pay the first month rent and sign the lease agreement. After you move in, the monthly payment will be sent directly to my bank account or you can continue paying through HomeAway.
If you find it acceptable please provide the requested details and I will submit your application right away. I will send the HomeAway reservation offer to your email and you can take it from there.

Very important !! Please reply only if you fully understand the process as I have been disappointed lately with unserious persons when it comes to reserving. Please remember that I'll have to pay transaction fees and just in case you change your mind I will not receive a refund from them!

You will find attached a photo of my passport for more transparency.

Best Regards,
Phone: (916) 680-8548

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#361652 by Bryon Williams Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:33 pm
Subject: [Info] Re: Apartment for rent on 2127 N Smith St, Charlotte, NC 28202

Hello xxxxxxxxxxx,
I've received your inquiry about my apartment for rent that I have on N Smith St, Charlotte,.
First of all, Sorry for the late reply! My name is Alexander Thompson and I own the property, not subletting or something like that.
This apartment comes fully furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Two garaged parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion this is the best area to live in, a simply great and safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be $530.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term rent (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the apartment and now I had the entire property completely refurbished, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own home and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
Being offshore and with so limited options I must use HomeAway for the rental process. Here is a brief description of how it works:
The process is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my property to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well.
Please reply if you want to know more about the rental process and I will send you the step by step procedure.

Best Regards,
Phone: (916) 299 6552

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#363659 by chak Thu May 03, 2018 5:25 pm
This person has slightly changed the email from tl-petroleum.com to [email protected]. Now he shared the copy of his passport.

Hello,
I've received your inquiry about my residence for rent that I have on Cypress St NE.
First of all, Sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible month at the job) ! My name is Alexander Thompson and I own the property, not subletting or something like that.
This home comes fully furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Two garaged parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion this is the best area to live in, a simply great and safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be $580.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term contract (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the home and now I had the entire property completely refurbished, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own place and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
Being offshore and with so limited options I must use HomeAway for the contract process. Here is a brief description of how it works:
The procedure is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my property to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well.
Please reply if you want to know more about the lease process and I will send you the step by step procedure.

Best Regards,

Hello again,
Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, HomeAway will handle the rental process on my behalf due to my offshore job.
I will have to contact the HomeAway agency and provide them all the necessary information so they can start the rental process. That being said I will need your full name, the rental period with exact move-in date, how many people will live there, your email, your phone number and a copy of your ID or Passport if possible.
Step two (Reservation):
HomeAway will require from you a security deposit of $800 to confirm reservation (which is fully refundable in case you don't like the apartment). Once you confirm reservation I will immediately book my next flight and organize the walk-through. If you are in a hurry to move in I could send you the keys by FedEx at your current address. It goes without saying that I will not book a flight or send any keys before you pay the security deposit to HomeAway and confirm the reservation.
The $800 security deposit will play as holding fee as well and will be refunded immediately with no questions asked if you don't like the place or once the contract will end if you decide to rent. ( But only if the apartment is not vandalized or something). A 30 days advance notice is required in case you need to leave early.
If you are satisfied with the apartment all you have to do is to provide a valid ID, pay the first month rent and sign the lease agreement. After you move in, the monthly payment will be sent directly to my bank account or you can continue paying through HomeAway.
If you find it acceptable please provide the requested details and I will submit your application right away. I will send the HomeAway reservation offer to your email and you can take it from there.

Very important !! Please reply only if you fully understand the process as I have been disappointed lately with unserious persons when it comes to reserving. Please remember that I'll have to pay transaction fees and just in case you change your mind I will not receive a refund from them!

Best Regards,
Email:[email protected]
#364133 by mrpeter5 Wed May 09, 2018 7:41 am
I have just heard back from this "Alexander" guy who is stepping up his game. He has sent the same exact e-mail but for an apartment in Raleigh, NC. After, some digging after replying to his first e-mail, I discovered the apartment he claimed to own was actually in a 65 and up facility and I am far from that age.....That being said I knew before finding this site that the e-mail was bogus. I can see all he has changed in the emails is the location and price of the apartment.

In the second e-mail he sent me he added a passport photo, I assume to seem more legit. This scam needs to be put to a stop ASAP because the passport photo will definitely get people. [img]file:///Users/marinnapeterson/Downloads/My_Passport.jpg[/img]

I tried attaching the picture he sent me for your convenience.
#364480 by qrsmartin Mon May 14, 2018 9:59 am
I got scammed over $800 of deposit.
Reported to police, awaiting for response of report and acknowledgement by prosecutors of cyber crime unit.
Wish I would have saw this prior to making deposit through Bitcoin ATM...
Will cut and paste emails and replies by this so called "Alexander".
#364481 by qrsmartin Mon May 14, 2018 10:06 am
So called Alexander wrote;

Hello Martin ,
I've received your inquiry about my residence for rent that I have on N Central Rd, Fort Lee.
First of all, Sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible month at the job) ! My name is Alexander Thompson and I own the home, not subletting or something like that.
This property comes fully furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Two garaged parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion this is the best area to live in, a simply great and safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be $790.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term lease (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the property and now I had the entire property completely renovated, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own place and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
Being offshore and with so limited options I must use HomeAway for the lease process. Here is a brief description of how it works:
Please reply if you want to know more about the lease process and I will send you the step by step procedure.

Best Regards,

****After Reply;

Hello again,
Step two (Reservation):

Attachments area

***with attachment of his passport.
***And stupid of me, I sent my passport copy as well....
***After when coinbase funds were on hold but could not wait, I made deposit with his fake invoice at ATM.
#365673 by GURLYGURL1969 Sun May 27, 2018 2:38 pm
Scam Scam Scam : My sister got the same email jut in a different city
Hello xxxxxx,
I've received your inquiry about my home for rent that I have on Hoym St, Fort Lee.
First of all, Sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week at the job) ! My name is Alexander Thompson and I own the home, not subletting or something like that.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be $850.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term contract (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the home and now I had the entire property completely refurbished, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own home and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself. Being offshore and with so limited options I must use HomeAway for the lease process. Here is a brief description of how it works: The process is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my apartment to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well. Please reply if you want to know more about the lease process and I will send you the step by step procedure. Find attached more photos and let me know if you like the apartment.

Best Regards,

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the IADC - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

13 Attachments
#365677 by Bryon Williams Sun May 27, 2018 4:19 pm
Subject: Re: Your rental inquiry/application for 1600 Center Ave, Fort Lee, NJ

Hello ,
I've received your inquiry about my property for rent that I have on Center Ave, Fort Lee.
First of all, Sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible month at the job) ! My name is Alexander Thompson and I own the apartment, not subletting or something like that.
This property comes fully furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Two garaged parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion this is the best area to live in, a simply great and safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be $1000.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term contract (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the property and now I had the entire property completely refurbished, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own home and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
Being offshore and with so limited options I must use HomeAway for the lease process. Here is a brief description of how it works:
The system is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my property to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well.

Best Regards,

#365800 by jemzky Mon May 28, 2018 9:10 pm
May 27, 2018

I too have been scammed by this low life scumbag!!!!!!!! I filed a police report and contacted my bank to dispute the charges on my debit card. I found his listing on apartments.com and homeaway. Please read below emails.

Alexander Thompson <[email protected]>
Attachments26 May (2 days ago)
to me
Hello ,
I've received your inquiry about my property for rent that I have on Hoym St, Fort Lee.
First of all, Sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week at the job) ! My name is Alexander Thompson and I own the apartment, not subletting or something like that.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be $850.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term lease (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the property and now I had the entire property completely modernized, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own place and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself. Being offshore and with so limited options I must use HomeAway for the lease process. Here is a brief description of how it works: The process is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my property to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well. Please reply if you want to know more about the lease process and I will send you the step by step procedure. Find attached more photos and let me know if you like the apartment.

Best Regards,

Hello again,
I will have to contact the HomeAway agency and provide them all the necessary information so they can start the rental process. That being said I will need your full name, the rental period with exact move-in date, how many people will live there, your email, your phone number and a copy of your ID or Passport so we can initiate the rental process.
Step two (Reservation):
HomeAway will require from you a security deposit of $800 to confirm reservation ( which is fully refundable in case you don't like the apartment ). Once you confirm reservation I will immediately book my next flight and organize the walk-through. If you are in a hurry to move in I could send you the keys by FedEx at your current address. It goes without saying that I will not book a flight or send any keys before you pay the security deposit to HomeAway and confirm the reservation !
If you find it acceptable please provide the requested details (on step one) and I will submit your application right away. I will send the HomeAway reservation offer to your email and you can take it from there.

Best Regards,
IADC-Certified Engineer - Alexander Thompson
Alexander Thompson

27 May (1 day ago)
to me
OK, I got your details and I will forward everything to HomeAway so they can send you the rental offer.
By the way, I'm glad to have you as a tenant.

Alexander Thompson

27 May (1 day ago)
to me
Hello, I've just sent the HomeAway offer and you are now welcome to reserve the apartment. Did you receive it ? If you have any problems or If you would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask or you can simply let me know after you complete the reservation process.
PS: Even if the payment is made to HomeAway I had the option of choosing the payment method and I wanted a non-credit-card payment because a few months ago a tenant paid with a stolen credit card and I was unable to rent the place until the problem was solved. This is why I went for Bitcoin as the payment method for the reservation. They have a more thorough verification process, I hope is not too much trouble for you, you will find further instructions on the HomeAway invoice. To get the Invoice just click "Book your stay" button and follow the steps.

Please check your spam folder as well. Sometimes spam filters block automated emails or emails that are not from your contacts list.
Alexander Thompson

27 May (1 day ago)
to me
Just saw that you already reserved the apartment on HomeAway. Congratulations and thanks for the promptness with which you treated this transaction! Please keep me posted regarding the deposit and preferred walk-through date. I'll check my schedule as well. If you prefer to receive the key, I'll need your current delivery address.
Alexander Thompson

27 May (1 day ago)
to me
No worries, just let me know once they approve the transaction.
Alexander Thompson

27 May (1 day ago)
to me
Ok, you can pay $600 and the rest once you visit the place.
#365865 by mcmire Tue May 29, 2018 2:33 pm
Well crap, I just got scammed too. Fortunately I didn't give him any money -- I got tipped off by the fake invoice page -- but he does have a copy of my driver's license now, which I guess I'll have to contact the police about (who knows what they can do though). It's a pretty elaborate scheme, I have to say. His sending of his passport was a nice touch. He's also added a note at the bottom of his second email:

#365952 by cntt Wed May 30, 2018 4:36 pm
I was scammed too. I feel so ridiculous should've checked his intentions earlier! But I contacted my bank as soon as possible to make sure I get my money back.
#367860 by JOJO2078 Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:55 am
Well he tried to scam me but i checked to be sure and welp here we are. he also included a picture of a passport to me but idk how to upload pictures. any tips?

Subject: RE: Your rental inquiry for 2117 W Hills Ave, Tampa, FL

Hello again xxxxxx,
Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned in my previous email, HomeAway will handle the rental process on my behalf due to my offshore job.
I will have to contact the HomeAway agency and provide them all the necessary information so they can start the rental process. That being said I will need your full name, the rental period along with the exact move-in date, how many people will live there, your email, your phone number and a copy of your ID or Passport so we can initiate the rental process.
Step two (Reservation):
HomeAway will require from you a security deposit of $800 to confirm reservation ( which is fully refundable in case you don't like the apartment ). Once you confirm reservation I will immediately book my next flight and organize the walk-through. If you are in a hurry to move in I could send you the keys by FedEx at your current address. It goes without saying that I will not book a flight or send any keys before you pay the security deposit to HomeAway and confirm the reservation !

Best Regards,
Alexander Thompson (IADC Certified Engineer)

Subject: Your rental inquiry for 2117 W Hills Ave, Tampa, FL

Hello xxxxxx ,
I've received your inquiry about my apartment for rent that I have on W Hills Ave, Tampa.
First of all, sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week at the job). I own the home, not subletting or something like that. So the apartment is not shared, you will live alone in the unit (or get a roommate).
This apartment comes fully furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Two garaged parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion it is the perfect area to live in, quiet and safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be 590.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term lease (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the home and I had the entire property completely refurbished, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own home and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
The system is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my apartment to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well.

Best Regards,
I.A.D.C. Certified Engineer - Alexander Thompson

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
#368152 by Brincessxo Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:43 am
Well I’ve actually been communywith this person he sent me the exact same emails as you guys. But he wasn’t pushy about taking money until he said he wanted me to pay through Homeaway with bitcoin (in which I thought was weird and came to find out they don’t even accept bitcoin) but he made it look so real I got links from the actual site they immediately typed up a rental agreement as soon as I reserved his apartment and he is speaking as if he is actually going to FedEx me the keys and schedule a walk through. He’s even congratulated me! I want to see what’s really up so I lied told him I paid the $800 deposit and asked if he can send the keys (haven’t sent my address just waiting on s reply from him and Homeaway fraud email) :laugh-s:
#371078 by Wezmasta Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:56 pm
i just got scamed by this guy, sent 800 though a bitcoin ATM

Hello xxxxxxxxxxx ,
I've received your inquiry about my property for rent that I have on W Hills Ave, Tampa.
First of all, sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week at the job). I own the apartment, not subletting or something like that. So the apartment is not shared, you will live alone in the unit (or get a roommate).
This home comes fully furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Two garaged parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion it is the perfect area to live in, quiet and safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be 590.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term lease (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the apartment and I had the entire property completely modernized, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own house and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
The system is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my property to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well.

Best Regards,
I.A.D.C. Certified Engineer - Alexander Thompson

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.