Room for Rent and other rental scams
Advertisement

#372267 by Michelle Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 pm
Reported using Fake,lost or stolen -

US Passport 530278356

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake!
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

#378810 by mcsspitfire Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:27 pm
I’m so glad I found this thread before I gave him any information or documents. He’s running a scam in Oakland too:

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018, 6:50 AM, Alexander Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello Matt ,
I've received your inquiry about my home for rent that I have on Adams St, Oakland, CA 94610.
First of all, sorry for the late reply (I had a terrible week at the job). I own the property, not subletting or something like that. So the apartment is not shared, you will live alone in the unit (or get a roommate).
This apartment comes fully furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Two garaged parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion it is the perfect area to live in, quiet and safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be 750.00- utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term lease (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.
My previous tenants practically destroyed the apartment and I had the entire property completely modernized, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am looking after good tenants who will treat my property as their own home and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
Being offshore and with so limited options I must use HomeAway for the lease process. Here is a brief description of how it works:
The system is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my apartment to HomeAway, my details and some documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well.
Please reply if you want to know more about the lease process and I will send you the step by step procedure.
Find attached more photos and let me know if you like the apartment.

Best Regards,
I.A.D.C. Certified Engineer - Alexander Thompson
Phone: (916) 299 6552
Email: [email protected]

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
#378946 by S12ginter Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:49 am
He's ALSO running a scam for an apartment in Chicago. Just exchanged emails with this guy for the past 12 days. Sounded too good to be true, and it was. The final red flag was when he asked me to pay via bitcoin because a previous tenant paid with a stolen credit card so he wouldn't accept that payment method. I immediately called HomeAway to report it - and learned that they don't even accept Bitcoin. Luckily I didn't give him any money, but he does have a copy of my driver's license, which is creepy but I'm not sure what to do about it.

He changed his email address to [email protected]

Here is the first email he sent me that is nearly identical to the one below, this time for an apartment in Chicago.

Hello there,

For starters i'm going to let you know that i'm the owner of the property so i'm not subletting or anything like that.

This apartment comes completely furnished, ready for move-in as we speak. A clean and quiet apartment with cable TV, high-speed WiFi internet, dishwasher, washer/dryer combo and also one garage parking spot. If you would rather use your own furniture, i have a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture and all my belongings before you move in. Well behaved pets are allowed. In my opinion, this is the best area to live in, a simply great and safe neighborhood.

The monthly rent for the entire apartment will be $1200 - utilities included (electricity, heat, cable, water, sewer). I'm looking for long-term rent (minimum 2 months - maximum is up to you). My job is inspecting offshore oil rigs so I will never bother you during your rental period.

My previous tenants practically destroyed the apartment so I had the entire place completely refurbished, everything is brand new (see attached photos). I am not looking to get rich renting, i'd rather have good tenants who will treat my place like their own home and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.

Being offshore and with so limited options I must use HomeAway for the rental process. Here is a brief description of how it works:
The process is pretty simple, as owner I need to submit information about my property to HomeAway, my details and some other documents. Then they will process the tenant's details as well.

Please reply if you want to know more about the rental process and I will send you the step by step procedure.

I have also attached a full set of photos of the apartment so please let me know if you like it.

Have a great day,
IADC Certified Engineer - Thomas Rutterford
#379222 by Michelle Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:08 pm

Hello, I've just sent the HomeAway offer and you are now welcome to reserve the apartment. Did you receive it ? If you have any problems or If you would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask or you can simply let me know after you complete the reservation process.
PS: Even if the payment is made to HomeAway I had the option of choosing the payment method and I wanted a non-credit-card payment because a few months ago a tenant paid with a stolen credit card and I was unable to rent the place until the problem was solved. This is why I went for Bitcoin as the payment method for the reservation. They have a more thorough verification process, I hope is not too much trouble for you, you will find further instructions on the HomeAway invoice. To get the Invoice just click "Book your stay" button and follow the steps.

Please check your spam folder as well. Sometimes spam filters block automated emails or emails that are not from your contacts list.

Alexander Thompson

(IADC Certified Engineer)
Phone: (916) 299 6553

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake!
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

#380763 by 0129 Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:07 pm
He's also scamming people in Tallahassee, Florida. Best of luck avoiding this guy. I notified realtor.com but the listing is still active.

-----Original Message-----
From: alex=lt-petroleum.com@mg.billionaireblogclub.com <[email protected]> On Behalf Of Alexander Thompson
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 10:20 AM
Subject: 955 sq ft condo for rent on 300 S Duval St, Tallahassee, 2br/2ba

Hello ____ , thank you for your inquiry, The apartment I own on 300 S Duval St, Tallahassee is available and ready to move in as we speak at a monthly rent of 650.00 for the entire property. A few things about myself, I'm 36 years old and I am inspecting offshore oil rigs. Oh, and you can call me Alex. Most of the time I am offshore, I return to Tallahassee a few times/year.
If interested, please give me some details about you (age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant). What else...? the neighborhood is very safe, behaved pets are allowed. The move in amount will be first month + one deposit.
I would need a few rental details as well, how long do you plan to rent the apartment, starting when?

I'm currently on an oil rig but I could plan my trip to Tallahassee so I can show you the apartment. I'm sure you will love it, no one lived there since I've taken the photos (see attached file)

Best Regards,
I.A.D.C. Certified Engineer - Alexander Thompson
Phone: (916) 299 6552

Confidentiality Notice: This communication may contain material protected by the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors. This communication and any documents or files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the I.A.D.C. - International Association of Drilling Contractors and the individual or entity to which it is addressed. Any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.